netbook connects to wireless network, my G5 Powermac doesn't

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Bonesone4, Apr 18, 2010.

1. Bonesone4 macrumors regular

I need some help/suggestions as to why my G5 tower won't connect to a wireless network. I recently moved into a guest house with free wireless internet. My landlord gave me the password to tap in, and it works great on my netbook, which is what I am using to post this entry. It also works with my iPod Touch. However, my G5 times out every time I try. It recognizes the network and when I type in the password, it tries to join it and after a few moments it says "connection timed out"

Why is this happening? I'm up to date on software/hardware updates. I've even tried shutting down my netbook to see if that was the reason it wasn't connecting, but nope. Still doesn't connect.

I like my netbook and internet browsing is speedy on it but I need my desktop for most of my work and internet productivity. Any thoughts?

2. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Does your G5 have the built in antennas or are they external? It looks like a "T" on the back.

This sounds more like a reception problem as you can't get a good enough signal. The aluminum casing really kills the wireless signal so you might want an external antenna.

3. Bonesone4 thread starter macrumors regular

Yes I have one of those plastic "T" shaped things that I plug into the back of it. Would purchasing a time capsule help at all? Or a wireless router? I have a router but that would need to be plugged directly into the DSL modem wouldn't it?