Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tMac85

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2007
in a great place
i cant believe, back in september/october, that you were the one who created that leaked macbook pro image that every one when crazy about haha. congrats to you that had to be flattering. the buzz was all over that image.

i sill think that everything you would need 'port' wise or 'charge' wise should be on the left side. if everything was on the bottom you would never be able to prop it up if it wasnt in its 'dock'

technominds

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2008
i cant believe, back in september/october, that you were the one who created that leaked macbook pro image that every one when crazy about haha. congrats to you that had to be flattering. the buzz was all over that image.

i sill think that everything you would need 'port' wise or 'charge' wise should be on the left side. if everything was on the bottom you would never be able to prop it up if it wasnt in its 'dock'

Haha, indeed it was flattering, but the job was a bit half-finished so I wasn't too bothered who believed it or not!

Charging will not need any ports, you simply need to having the bottom surface touching the dock and it will charge. Loads of companies have been researching it.

Yea, i'l move the ports to the top left. I want apple to include a new way of having hidden ports; port flaps or something would make it look so much more slick.. I personally hate how ports collect dust and look like big dents in products!

abcdefghi

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2009
Ideal netbook/mediapad/iphone-macbook hybrid?

What is the ideal netbook/mediapad/iphone-macbook hybrid? This is just my opinion, and I would be very interested in hearing what others think.

I'm a poor engineering graduate student who would like a portable device for mobile computing. I like the idea of a netbook for simple tasks such as e-mail, surfing the web, and reading research papers. However, I would never buy a netbook on the market now for the following reasons:

-These "portable" (9-10 inch) netbooks will not fit in my pocket. If I have to carry a backpack with me, I might as well just bring my laptop.
-Current netbooks run on operating systems that were not designed for a pocket-sized device. Whether it is XP or Linux, netbook OS's were designed for full-sized laptops and desktops. A true portable device needs both hardware and software designed for low-power consumption.
-In my opinion, the keyboards on these netbooks are unusable. I have average sized hands, and I can't stand typing on such a small keyboard.

I was excited when I heard rumors of Apple making a "netbook-like" device, but when I heard rumors that Apple ordered 10-inch screens, I began to worry Apple is going down the same path as other netbook manufacturers. A 10" computer would have all the same problems as existing netbooks (see list above).

Finally, here is my opinion of the perfect portable device. I'm too lazy to make a concept drawing, so I will describe what I believe it would look like and you can use your imagination...

Start by imagining a Nintendo DS-like clamshell body. While closed, the outside would look exactly like the current macbook/MBP aluminum unibody scaled down to 4.3 x 2.4 inches (dimensions explained below). The left side has 1 USB port, a 30 pin iPod-like connector, and a headphone jack. Open the device and find the obvious... dual screens. The bottom screen is just an iPhone/iPod Touch (with a mic) - no differences. The other (top) screen is the same size, sporting speakers on both sides, and a camera on the top center. Turn on the device and find it running iPhone OS (slightly modified to accomodate both screens).

I know what you are thinking - an iPhone with an extra screen... who cares? Think about the possibilities for a minute... This device does everything you want from a mobile computer. It easily fits in your pocket/purse. It runs on the same low power requirement hardware/software as the iPhone/iPod Touch. It doesn't have a conventional full-size keyboard, but the bottom touch screen can be filled with a keyboard to type while looking at the top screen. This is the 21st century, and people are accustomed to typing with their thumbs. The USB port and bluetooth would allow users use full sized keyboards. The best part yet - what makes a system great is its software. Running the iPhone OS means this device already has thousands of apps that would not even need to be modified to run on the bottom touch screen. Future apps would include dual-screen capabilities. Having the camera/mic combo means it is video chat ready. Open it 180 degrees and turn it sideways to read books. Gaming anyone? The iPhone and iPod touch are already cutting into the DS/PSP market. Imagine how easy it would be for a DS developer to modify
their games for a device with identical hardware (touch screen, mic, camera, wifi). Want more computing power or a larger screen? Do a search in the app store for "LogMeIn" or "Jaadu VNC". These apps already exist, allowing remote access to your home (more powerful) computers with full sized screens.

This is more of a dream, but allowing the hinge between screens to rotate 360 degrees would allow for even more capabilities. This would allow it to be easily held with one hand up to your ear as a phone. It would also make it easy to take pictures like a normal digital camera (using the camera on one screen, while viewing the image in real time with the other screen).

Where would this device fall in Apple's product lineup? Do the math... price of iPod Touch or iPhone + a second screen + USB port = about $400 to 450 for the 16GB model, about $650 for the future 64GB model. This wouldn't cut into any of their existing product categories. Would you buy one?

jmann

macrumors 604
What is the ideal netbook/mediapad/iphone-macbook hybrid? This is just my opinion, and I would be very interested in hearing what others think.

I'm a poor engineering graduate student who would like a portable device for mobile computing. I like the idea of a netbook for simple tasks such as e-mail, surfing the web, and reading research papers. However, I would never buy a netbook on the market now for the following reasons:

-These "portable" (9-10 inch) netbooks will not fit in my pocket. If I have to carry a backpack with me, I might as well just bring my laptop.
-Current netbooks run on operating systems that were not designed for a pocket-sized device. Whether it is XP or Linux, netbook OS's were designed for full-sized laptops and desktops. A true portable device needs both hardware and software designed for low-power consumption.
-In my opinion, the keyboards on these netbooks are unusable. I have average sized hands, and I can't stand typing on such a small keyboard.

I was excited when I heard rumors of Apple making a "netbook-like" device, but when I heard rumors that Apple ordered 10-inch screens, I began to worry Apple is going down the same path as other netbook manufacturers. A 10" computer would have all the same problems as existing netbooks (see list above).

Finally, here is my opinion of the perfect portable device. I'm too lazy to make a concept drawing, so I will describe what I believe it would look like and you can use your imagination...

Start by imagining a Nintendo DS-like clamshell body. While closed, the outside would look exactly like the current macbook/MBP aluminum unibody scaled down to 4.3 x 2.4 inches (dimensions explained below). The left side has 1 USB port, a 30 pin iPod-like connector, and a headphone jack. Open the device and find the obvious... dual screens. The bottom screen is just an iPhone/iPod Touch (with a mic) - no differences. The other (top) screen is the same size, sporting speakers on both sides, and a camera on the top center. Turn on the device and find it running iPhone OS (slightly modified to accomodate both screens).

I know what you are thinking - an iPhone with an extra screen... who cares? Think about the possibilities for a minute... This device does everything you want from a mobile computer. It easily fits in your pocket/purse. It runs on the same low power requirement hardware/software as the iPhone/iPod Touch. It doesn't have a conventional full-size keyboard, but the bottom touch screen can be filled with a keyboard to type while looking at the top screen. This is the 21st century, and people are accustomed to typing with their thumbs. The USB port and bluetooth would allow users use full sized keyboards. The best part yet - what makes a system great is its software. Running the iPhone OS means this device already has thousands of apps that would not even need to be modified to run on the bottom touch screen. Future apps would include dual-screen capabilities. Having the camera/mic combo means it is video chat ready. Open it 180 degrees and turn it sideways to read books. Gaming anyone? The iPhone and iPod touch are already cutting into the DS/PSP market. Imagine how easy it would be for a DS developer to modify
their games for a device with identical hardware (touch screen, mic, camera, wifi). Want more computing power or a larger screen? Do a search in the app store for "LogMeIn" or "Jaadu VNC". These apps already exist, allowing remote access to your home (more powerful) computers with full sized screens.

This is more of a dream, but allowing the hinge between screens to rotate 360 degrees would allow for even more capabilities. This would allow it to be easily held with one hand up to your ear as a phone. It would also make it easy to take pictures like a normal digital camera (using the camera on one screen, while viewing the image in real time with the other screen).

Where would this device fall in Apple's product lineup? Do the math... price of iPod Touch or iPhone + a second screen + USB port = about $400 to 450 for the 16GB model, about $650 for the future 64GB model. This wouldn't cut into any of their existing product categories. Would you buy one?

Nice first post. ;) I would buy one depending on how it looked.

Chase R

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2008
PDX
I like it. Only thing I would change would be to make it matte aluminum like the new MacBooks.

Benguitar

Jan 30, 2009
Headjack on BOTTOM. you dont want the cable hangin in front of the screen.

Put. Cord. Behind. Device.

Problem Solved.

But I actually agree with you that the 1/8 inch jack would look better on the bottom. :rolleyes:

The overall design is really good!

Keniff

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2008
United Kingdom
macbook-touch.jpg

Just a mockup of how it may look!

Let me know what you think :)

-TM

Have you seen the the 'Macbook Touch' concept?

http://tommasogecchelin.wordpress.com/2009/04/21/macbook-touch/macbook-touch-beta-20/

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Dec 24, 2004
Finally I have arrived.....
I am very interested in a netbook and cannot decide on which one to buy. I am still hesitating because I am weary about using a Windows XP based netbook. MS is not going to support XP that long.

I hope Apple will get into the netbook market soon. I want to use MS Office's Mac version as I already have one. (If I buy a Windows-based netbook, I would need to buy a fresh copy of Office...)

war eagle

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
If these prototypes were released i'd be in even more debt because I would charge on in a second.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.