Netbook, low end PC question?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by IBradMac, Aug 24, 2009.

1. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

I've been thinking about getting a PC dedicated solely to surfing and basically nothing else. I been thinking of shelving the Mac for work. ":eek:" Yeah, I actually typed that! Anyways, I have a couple of things that concern me...

1) I refuse to pay for virus protection. Not happening whatsoever. My question is "if I practice safe surfing, mainly forums, will I still run into problems"?

2) What should I look for? For example, minimum system requirements, HD, RAM. I won't be doing a lot of multitasking or anything like that. Also, I don't want to spend a lot.

Any suggestions welcomed.

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

AVG's free edition is fine...

http://free.avg.com/

I use it on mine. Honestly it's never caught anything, but it's probably better on Windows than just going... erm... commando.

The specs are very similar model to model with netbooks. Although people don't think of it as a 'premium,' though, you are paying a premium for small size / weight (essentially every single one is <3 lbs and they get as small as 2 lbs) and long battery life (the best have 9-11 hour batteries). If those aren't valuable to you, a cheap dual core 15" notebook that might get poor battery life and will probably weigh 6 lbs might possibly be a better option....

Either netbook or not, you might consider buying used... for a netbook, anything with an Atom is going to be fairly similar in terms of specifications, but you can look for what kind of HD it has, etc. Most of them are 1GB upgradable to 2GB (mine has 2GB in it)... for light use you might not see any advantage in 2GB. The 4GB SSDs are fairly fast but they fill up quickly, especially as you update Windows.

3. gilkisson macrumors 65816

gilkisson

I keep a little Acer netbook in my bottom desk drawer at work. When I have to plug in and config a router or switch quickly, or need one more screen, I sometimes grab the netbook and run.

Pros: Light, very light. Small. Battery lasts a looong time, as I don't use it much. Paid about $250 for it.

Cons: XP Home. No CD/DVD. Keyboard is abominable. No Wireless-N. Screen is eyestrain rodeo. Slow weak CPU.

I don't surf a lot on it, and I don't have AV on it.

For what it is, it's a good tool. I would utterly detest having to run all day on it, but it's OK for what I need when I need it.

When it gets infected or dies, it's getting Ubuntu slapped on it, and stuffed back in the bottom drawer.

But if you stay out of the heavy-breathing websites, and don't open garbage emails, and have enough common sense to avoid urinating on your own shoes, you won't get a virus.

4. IBradMac thread starter macrumors 68000

IBradMac

Thanks. I should have been more specific about "low-end". I mean on the spec end. I realize that some users associate netbook with lightweight and portable, but I have no problem lugging around a 13-15" laptop. Basically just something to take back and forth to work with me.

I was thinking as far as processor speeds go a min. of 2.0? Is that unreasonable as without sacrificing high end cost?

I guess this Mac has me spoiled. :p

EDIT: After a quick Google search it would seem the Acer is a popular model. I may give one of those a try. Also, it seems a lot of MR members have them. Link.