Netbook nay sayers Suggested read.

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by CANOLArabbit, Mar 27, 2009.

1. CANOLArabbit macrumors newbie

http://www.gadgetrepublic.com/news/...le-with-launch-of-an-android-powered-mini-pc/

For those who think that there is no need for a tablet/netbook from apple, read this and investigate the Archos series.

I'm probably not the only one, but I don't want an iphone for the contract and the ipodtouch is just the same thing without the phone part, a new product with normal internet capabilities and maybe some other shiny features would be a nice competitive choice for apple.

Just a thought provoker for those against an apple netbook.
    Good day to you all.:eek:

2. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

There is a big difference between a tablet and a netbook.

Few doubt there will be a tablet iPhone like device, but it will NOT be a netbook, the common definition for a netbook is a very cheap laptop.

Let's hope people stop using the two names interchangeably.

3. cv01 macrumors member

And netbooks are heading for extinction! About time!
    http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20090326PD206.html
    A stronger CULV market with 13.3-inch screens. People can finally stop whining about Apple not entering the so called netbook market. Let this be over with asap... :D

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

So out of curiosity, why would one assume that this device is a major threat, coming from a company that has pummeled its market capitalization with three successive years of almost daily loss in share price, sells hardly any units of any of its devices in spite of having been on the market for ... most of a decade, and has not made a profit in more than one or two years of its entire existence?

5. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

6. brax.j macrumors regular

7. danimal99 macrumors regular

I made my own OSX netbook out of a $275 Acer Aspire One. Works great- I develop iPhone apps on it.

Its just as usable as a plastic body MacBook and twice as portable, which is why I got it in the first place. Apple is really missing the boat on this one.

8. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

Wonderful way you got of respecting apple's intellectual property there, as installing OSX on a netbook is not allowed. Even if you buy a copy of 10.5...

Karma would be people treating your iPhone apps with the same respect you have shown to apple...

9. danimal99 macrumors regular

Oh please. I can't tote my Mini around, and MacBooks simply are too expensive for what you get. The point remains, an OSX netbook is totally doable.

10. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

Which is great.... but i don't need/want anything larger than 12". I need three of them at some point. Price wise the current netbooks are what i need.

11. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

Oh, come on. If he did buy 10.5, he's still supporting Apple, and he's even developing iPhone apps which Apple makes a hefty profit off. Besides, a lot of people who have made hackintoshes already own macs.

12. sandman42 macrumors 6502a

sandman42

I thought a 'netbook' was a pared down laptop -- meaning smaller screen, keyboard & case, with no optical drive and limited on board storage, etc -- all for the sake of portability. I didn't think they necessarily had to be 'cheap'.

My understanding is that a tablet is a device that's a slab rather than clamshell form (at least when it's in use -- some 'convertible' types fold back on themselves to make a tablet). Often they're touch screen with a 'virtual' keyboard or incorporate other input method such as handwriting recognition, and tend to be about the same size as a full-size laptop.

I totally agree that the two terms aren't interchangeable or synonymous, but I don't think that means there couldn't be some overlap. Someone could make a compact slab-style device that fit both definitions, like a larger-format iPhone or iPod Touch.

13. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

A hefty profit? Please! I can't believe something as basic as the costs to host apps in the app store is lost on so many people. Hell, there was just an argument about it in another thread less than a week ago.

By the way, there are plenty of places to argue about Hackintoshes and their legality elsewhere.

There's a few like this.

14. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Who would buy a netbook? I mean, who is this targeted at? Desktop owners who want a cheap portable second machine?

I have a 15inch MBP, and I wouldn't buy a netbook - it's light and portable enough for me to throw in a weekend bag or backpack. I have a 3G iPhone to receive emails when I'm out and about on a daily basis.

15. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

I've seen the hackintosh thread. And Apple makes %30 off every app sold. Of course there are running costs. According to Jobs, the App Store made $30 mil in its first month.

16. danimal99 macrumors regular

Exactly, I needed a cheap portable for work in between a couple of classes I'm taking on the side, where I also use it to take notes. It doesn't make sense for me to drive all the way back home to use my desktop, when I can just stay on campus. MacBooks are fairly portable (although not like a netbook), but aren't budget-friendly at all.

17. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

I'd love to see an iPad Touch. A 9" diagonal AMOLED touchscreen, same form factor as the new amazon Kindle, except ALL screen. Make so it'll clip into any case made for the Kindle, as there are plenty being made. Make sure it supports bluetooth keyboards (and headphones and everything else bluetooth), and release a flat one that will store in that same case. It should support iPhone/Touch apps, but have twice the resolution (960x720) and automatically scale each app to fit. 64gb,

Then price it at $449. :D

18. golfhero macrumors member

I've tried to get into the netbook craze, but just couldn't do it. I used an HP Mini and also tried an EEE PC for a week. After coming from a MBP I found the screens too small to be usable and WAY too slow - even opening Firefox caused them to grind away in both windows and Linux. Between an iPhone and a MBP I just couldn't find room for a netbook...

19. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

Same here. I've always wanted to just goof around with a netbook to see what it can do, but really, my iMac and iPod touch are everything I need.

20. kindablue09 macrumors regular

kindablue09

I second danimal99's post

Netbooks are a sweet deal for college students who can afford them. I commute to med school by bike everyday (which means weight & size is a factor), have to constantly check my email, take notes on ppt slides for about half of the day, & try to manage my papers and projects between classes. If i didn't have a 12" pb I would have to majorly rethink the way I use computers.

Yeah, a mb would be perfect for the job (half my class uses the previous white model) but I am saving up for an imac so I can have the glorious 24" of screen real estate, watch online tv (my gpu sucks the big one), and play swtor when it finally comes out :D.

So I solved my portable issue by lucking out with a 12" pb, but if you want a small functional notebook to complement a desktop Apple isn't the place to go... yet. Yeah, the mba fills that niche, but its quite expensive; even rev a refub.

21. genmic macrumors regular

Agreed, I would buy this thing in a heartbeat. Sure the MBP 15 is portable, but it's not one of those take-anywhere notebooks. With the 12" footprint, I can use it on my lap, riding in the car/bus/plane, and using it and stowing it requires much less effort than a larger notebook. I don't want a MB because I want a high quality screen.

But if Apple doesn't come out with something I will probably end up buying a MBA. As long as it has a glass trackpad...

22. danimal99 macrumors regular

One huge plus in the favor of a netbook on campus is that it just fits on every desktop. I have at least two classes right now where if I used anything bigger, even the 13.3" MacBook, it would hang off the edges of the desk. Worrying about accidentally flipping my $1000+ laptop on the floor would drive me nuts. :)

23. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

True, true. The smaller netbooks have cramped keyboards though.