Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Theclamshell

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 2, 2009
I may have the opportuinity to get a small laptop. My question is would a netbook with a 1.6ghz atom or an 867mhz pb g4 be faster for internet browsing. Just to clarify, im not asking which i should get, im asking which one would be faster for internet and stuff

colmaclean

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Berlin
I have that model of PowerBook and surfing on it has been getting gradually worse - I have maxed out the RAM. The fan comes on almost as soon as you boot and responses are sloooooow - I have got Leopard installed (for Time Machine) which probably doesn't help!

I've recently upgraded to a uMBP and wouldn't go back!

As for a netbook - I have never used one but reckon it would be a smoother machine for today.

parapup

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2006
Intel Atom based netbooks are going to be definitely faster. I have the HP Mini 1000 with 1Gb RAM running Windows 7 RC and it runs amazingly well - never have to shutdown, sleep/wake is fast, browsing is fast using Firefox 3.5 or IE8.

About the only advantage the 12 inch will have is more screen real estate.

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
Benchmarks show that the 800ghz G4 keeps up with the 1.6ghz Atom.

Real world however, the Atom will probably be faster.

Obsidian6

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2006
Laguna Niguel, CA
I have that very powerbook that I got in a trade. My intent for it was to just have a small media computer.

It's ok for basic web browsing, but when any video stuff comes into play it just chokes.

I've tried all the browsers too. Safari 4, Firefox 3.5, Omniweb 5.9, Flock, Shiira (which wouldn't even launch) And others too. Omniweb seems to launch and run the fastest. But I'd prefer to be on firefox or safari.

One thing I do like. I was able to get the max ram and a way too big 320gb hard drive for next to nothing. So it's got plenty of space for music n stuff :)

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
Benchmarks show that the 800ghz G4 keeps up with the 1.6ghz Atom.

Real world however, the Atom will probably be faster.

lol no

I've had a netbook and a 1.5 ghz G4 12" powerbook and the netbook destroyed the powerbook in performance while running much cooler. It wasn't even close...at least 2x faster.

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
I just recently sold my 1.3 GHz iBook for an HP Mini...the G4 is just getting to that point, you know...

But it's by no means unusable: If you like having OS X trouble free, get the PowerBook. :cool:

iyacyas

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2008
My 2 cents...

While I do not have the 12" you are inquiring about, I do have the 12" 1.33Ghz Powerbook. I absolutely love my 12" Powerbook and it is still very fast but on the net well that is a different story. These web designers are loading these sites up with all this Flash that it's sometime impossible to browse. My wifes unibody macbook is even slow (with the spinning beach ball) on some pages, and really irritates me. So I hate to say that the faster computer is going to be better for web browsing.

That is sickening to say! At one point you needed a fast computer for the web to help compensate for your slow modem speeds. Then came broadband and people didn't need a super fast computer when web browsing. But now we flip again because people make crappy web pages. Apples web site (accept when it is unresponsive) seems to always be fast. I also had a 533Mhz compaq that I sold last week and it screamed on good web sites such as Apples site.

Not sure what my point is but that's my 2 cents.

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008

dacreativeguy

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2007
The 12" was a great machine in its day, but its time has passed. I have one I use for a guest computer and it works, but has been having more and more problems with modern web sites and multimedia. Add the fact that the screen is incredibly dim compared the modern LED backlights and it just isn't as fun to use as it used to be.

If you want a great compromise, get an aluminum MacBook 13". It isn't much larger than a 12" Powerbook, but is modern in every way. And it is a great value when compared to the MacBook Air. My wife wanted an Air but the price and lack of features (ports, DVD) couldn't be overcome by the benefit of its "thinness". The MacBook is exactly the same dimensions except for height. It's a great 'small' machine.

Obsidian6

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2006
Laguna Niguel, CA
I have to agree with everyone. Especially being a current owner of that very computer. It isn't exceptionally capable unfortunately. Some websites (forums especially) are no problem at all and load up super quick. but it's the flash video that destroys it, I can't play web video at all on that thing.

It's fun to play around with, and I basically didn't pay anything for it, so I can't complain. But it sure was fun taking it apart and replacing the hard drive! I really enjoyed gutting it and cleaning it up. I wish it wasn't the 867mhz though. it's just too slow. I wouldn't mind the 1.5ghz model though.

If you could get one of those I'd say it would still be ok, especially with the ram maxed out and a decent sized hard drive spinning at 5400rpm.

I guess it all depends on how much you want to spend really.

noodle654

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2005
Never Ender
I would go with the netbook. I think most of us here love the 12" PB, it was the best notebook Apple has ever made. But, the 867MHz PB is 6 years old now and with SL coming in September, PowerPC is going to be extinct and new programs are going to be made with Intel in mind. I love the old PowerPC and everything, and I was very tempted to get a Quad G5 (posted in Mac Pro/PowerMac forum) but an Intel is the future, not PPC. It will be missed, and if a 12" PB comes along in my time for cheap or free, there is no doubt that I would not take it.

Its amazing how fast technology moves now-a-days, I feel like it was yesterday when Apple released the PowerMac G5...

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
I would go with the netbook. I think most of us here love the 12" PB, it was the best notebook Apple has ever made. But, the 867MHz PB is 6 years old now and with SL coming in September, PowerPC is going to be extinct and new programs are going to be made with Intel in mind. I love the old PowerPC and everything, and I was very tempted to get a Quad G5 (posted in Mac Pro/PowerMac forum) but an Intel is the future, not PPC. It will be missed, and if a 12" PB comes along in my time for cheap or free, there is no doubt that I would not take it.

Its amazing how fast technology moves now-a-days, I feel like it was yesterday when Apple released the PowerMac G5...

You wouldn't take a 12" PowerBook for free? :eek:

w00t951

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
The HP 2140 (or any HP netbook) has a weird keyboard that takes some getting used to. However, the netbook is a slow machine, and HP built it with the cheapest parts available. Anything that has video or something with pictures will bog down the machine. Run with the Windows 2000 theme, and if possible, install Linux.

Theclamshell

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 2, 2009
Thanks for all the help guys, as much as i love the G4 i ended up getting a Velocity micro Notemagix m10 i looked at all the netbooks and i think they are all great! i only bought this cuz i have a desktop by them. I still have hopes one day of getting a 12 inch PB G4

edit: it also runs hulu well and websites with lots of flash

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
Thanks for all the help guys, as much as i love the G4 i ended up getting a Velocity micro Notemagix m10 i looked at all the netbooks and i think they are all great! i only bought this cuz i have a desktop by them. I still have hopes one day of getting a 12 inch PB G4

That's awesome! I hope you're enjoying your netbook as much as I am mine. :D

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida
Good choice; i hope it works out well for you :)

As for me, you can have my 12" PowerBook when you take it from my cold, dead hands :D I expect the little bugger to last me at least another two years or so.

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004

Theclamshell

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 2, 2009
...I hope you looked at the Asus offerings, the new 1005, 1008 and 1000HE have some pretty impressive battery times (and they're removable:p)...

I saw every one frys had and there were some very nice ones from Asus, Sony, Hp, acer and Leovo. Most of them were incredible but i bought this for the name basically :D and i love Matte!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.