Netbook or iPod Touch

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MidwestStuck, Jan 25, 2009.

1. MidwestStuck macrumors member

OK, so I've saved enough money to buy a new toy. My 4-year-old 20GB iPod is full, and its battery life sucks. So, I started looking at the 32GB iPod Touch. Then, I thought to myself for $399 I can get a netbook and use it as an ultra-portable, secondary computer. I can whip the baby out in class or on the bus to work (which I would never do with my MBP). I know the two really can't be placed in the same category, but if you guys were in my shoes what would you get? I wouldn't find the decision difficult if the iPod Touch didn't cost so much (and no, I'm not interested in getting the classic at all).

2. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i think the question should be how serious are you about music? if you find yourself listening to music a lot, especially outside of the home, go for the ipod.

3. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Have you used Safari on the iPod? It's pretty good for a mobile browser, but it's no netbook. If you browse the web and listen to music, get the netbook. If you listen to music and browse the web, get the iPod.

4. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

The iPod is also better (IMO) if you want to be able to whip something out and play a game to kill time. If you need to do a lot of typing or browsing, then yeah, go with the netbook. Otherwise, I'd go with the iPod.

5. MidwestStuck thread starter macrumors member

Yes, I agree with you. Safari on the iPod is amazing for a mobile browser.

That's the deciding factor for me, I think. I don't have to wait for the thing to load, plus I believe the non-music entertainment factor of the iPod Touch is strong.

I suppose I wouldn't feel like doing any typing outside of class or work anyway. I'm leaning to the iPod now.

6. macJC50640 macrumors regular

If I were you, I don't think I'd buy a Windows based netbook. The iPod touch has Safari, so you're set with web browsing. Plus it can fit in your pocket and be with you anytime so if you see a website on a billboard or whatever you can take it out. Not so with the netbook. Of course the netbook can run Word, etc. but if you said you wouldn't do much typing then just go with the iPod. And, of course, its made by Apple. :D:apple::cool:

7. macJC50640 macrumors regular

touch

If I were you, I don't think I'd buy a Windows based netbook. The iPod touch has Safari, so you're set with web browsing. Plus it can fit in your pocket and be with you anytime so if you see a website on a billboard or whatever you can take it out. Not so with the netbook. Of course the netbook can run Word, etc. but if you said you wouldn't do much typing then just go with the iPod. And, of course, its made by Apple. :D:apple::cool:

8. macJC50640 macrumors regular

Wow, diddn't mean to double post. :eek: I am a newbie :eek:

9. aneftp macrumors 68040

Again, depends on your music needs. Since you are a student and need a second computer that is lightweight to take in and out of class and on the bus. I think education is more important than fun (ipod touch). The netbook will serve you much better right now than the ipod touch.