Netbook Osx

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by roryapple, Apr 5, 2009.

1. roryapple macrumors newbie

roryapple

Hi there I am looking into buying a netbook to run osx on. I have seen the compatibility chart and was wondering if any one had good experience with any of the netbooks. Currently I am stuck between Dell mini 9 and msi wind. :)

2. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Dell Mini 9 is the most compatable, best well built and easiest to get working in my experience, but you should know, whatever you get, no matter how compatable, is still going to give you headaches in the long term, and will simply leave you wishing you bought the real thing.

3. phobic99 macrumors 6502a

phobic99

I had the MSI Wind for a while and for the most part it ran OS X well. Leopard 10.5.6 works fine on it. Great little machine and I miss the portability of it quite a bit.

4. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Tried it on the msi wind the lenovo s10, both using special msi wind distro of osx. Wind was the easiest to do, but it had mattel build quality. Felt cheap, flimsy. Couldn't get camera to work. Keyboard unusable.

S10 required more effort, ethernet wouldn't work, and could not hit right shift key to save my life. Trackpads on both were the size of postage stamps, and neither supported usable scroll feature in osx.

If you want a laptop that's really light running osx, you may as well try one of the boing boing listed machines. Really good way to get into, and poke around, the guts of the operating system.

If you want a laptop that's more than a hobby, I'd suggest a late model 12" g4 laptop and max the ram out.

5. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

....would you say its worth putting OSX on a netbook or just keeping winXP on them?

I was looking at the Dell Mini12 due to the higher res screen but I like the portability of my 10" eeePC1000H and that's pushing it for the largest size I'd want to carry around on a regular basis commuting on my motorcycle.

6. roryapple thread starter macrumors newbie

roryapple

thanks

Thanks
    I think I will buy the mini 9 with a 16 gig and webcam and install osx on it
    sorry apple:apple::apple::apple::apple:

7. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Get the cheapest mini 9 you can, the 4GB HD one (the one with the smallest hard drive) and the least RAM, then upgrade it yourself :)

8. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

cheapest mini 9 has no camera.

also, is upgrading HDD in mini 9 easy?

9. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

OTOH, you can get the wind or the lenovo and put up to 2 gigs, and install any notebook sata hard drive very easily.

10. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

If you're at least slightly technically inclined, and have the patience to follow some step by step instructions, you can do it. And keep in mind, to keep from having troubles on the numbered updates, you'll have to use the efi bootloader method, which requires an external usb drive, and an external dvd drive, and a legit leopard install dvd.

Color me Cassandra, but I still say that if you're going to do any real typing, a 12" G4 laptop will be a better choice based upon my personal experience. Unless this is a project, or a toy, or a mostly web browser for you, please please please go to an electronics store and physically lay hands on whatever model you're wanting to get.

11. txnoob macrumors 6502

I've been using OSx86 on my Lenovo S10 for about 2 weeks. I love it. Wish I would have found this out before buying my Mini, but at the same time I wouldn't have been able to make the family videos I'm working on either. Which i have to say, I love iMovie in comparison to Windows Movie Maker.

I thought the MSIWind distro was pretty simple really. The only problems I had were caused by myself. I knew full well that Ethernet would not work with my Lenovo S10 but I don't need it.

I had purchased the MSI Wind first but speakers were DOA. I was so unimpressed with it's quality and the ability not to upgrade without voiding the warranty, that I asked to have it replaced with the Lenovo and IMO it's a much more solid Machine. Doesn't feel cheap. So week before last I created an image of my HDD, made a bootable restore disk, and started with the Wind Distro.

The only issue it has is on waking from sleep for some reason the "O" key is on repeat like it's stuck down. Just hit the space bar and it stops. That's it, flawless otherwise.

12. txnoob macrumors 6502

I would agree there. Casual typing such as IM or entering a web address is Fine. I actually don't even have a problem with the right shift key. For some reason I've never used it. But I would not want to type a report on this thing. sometimes even these long posts are tedious. Definitely go play with one before you buy.

I almost ordered the Aspire One sight unseen (other than pictures), before the 10" screens, and I'm glad I didn't. The 8.9" screen just isn't workable for me. The 10" screen pushes the envelope as far as usability IMO.

Just keep that in mind when considering the Mini 9

13. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Yeah, I am impressed with build quality of the lenovo. But the HP mini one has the best keyboard hand down-sorry, couldn't resist it-but last time I checked it didn't have all the features working on osx that the lenovo does. I'm not a fan of the postage sized, non scrolling trackpad on either machine.

By the way, mine also has a skipping cursor. Are you having that problem as well?

14. Richdmoore macrumors 65816

Richdmoore

I have a Mini 9 on order to try and see if I can use it on the road instead of my more heavy macbook. I have received lots of information from this forum:

http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/mac-os-x-f23.html

They pretty much have everything like webcam & bluetooth working now, as far as I can tell. Will I be able to take this on the road vs my macbook? I don't know yet.

(When I purchased the macbook the macbook air did not exist, and is still very expensive in my opinion.)

Oh, and the method they use requires a real Leopard DVD, so it discourages piracy unlike some of the other methods for other netbooks.

15. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Yeah, but I've read that you can update via software update with impunity.

16. txnoob macrumors 6502

I thought I had experienced the occasional skipping cursor until I realized it was me hitting the touch pad inadvertently.

17. Richdmoore macrumors 65816

Richdmoore

I don't understand what the system update has to do with piracy. (Are you talking about something else when you referenced me stating the Dell install uses the real leopard dvd?)

With the dell method, it works with a retail Leopard dvd. As part of the Leopard install, if the dvd you used to install is not the 10.5.6 update you have to download and install that update as well.

After that the normal software update works like a real mac (at least so far, never know about future updates.)

The install requires a retail dvd, and not an internet-downloaded modified version like some other computers.

Is it legal? Well, you have to go to a store and buy Leopard, just like Windows or any other OS. Apple gets money for it's software just like you purchased it for your Apple made computer.

Is it violating the EULA? Yes, as apple states that their software is only licensed to run on Apple hardware.

Is a violation of the EULA illegal? No one knows. The courts are working this issue out now with the Psystar-Apple lawsuits.

Do I expect Apple to eventually do something to ensure only real Apple computers get update? Yes I do, especially if the lose the Psystar lawsuits. Imagine the number of unauthorized "clone" manufacturers that would sprout up overnight. If they follow Psystar's model of including a retail dvd with every install, they would be just as legal.

However nothing would prevent Apple from doing system checks in the future to ensure it really is Apple hardware before it allows an install. The only reason I think Apple hasn't locked down the OS is that you can't go out and buy a Hackintosh (except Psystar.) If Apple loses its lawsuits, I expect Apple will react quickly to prevent installs.

18. old-wiz macrumors G3

I think the reference is that sometimes if you do software update on a hackintosh things break. Sometimes on a hackintosh you have to weed out software updates.

19. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

What he said.