Netbook question (not OSX)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by pb1300, Oct 25, 2009.

1. pb1300 macrumors 6502a

Here in Greece, they have a promotion for all kids going into high school. The promo is that they each get a free netbook. Well my cousin has gotten one, a HP to be exact. The problem she is having now is that the games lock up after playing them 3 times. Anyone know of a solution to get around this?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

What HP model are you referring to?
    And what Windows version is used?
    And what games are you talking about?
    And what do you mean by "lock-up"?
    Do they hang up, or don't start a fourth time? And are all games affected or only a few?
    Does a message appear?
    Is there some kind of restriction installed on the computer?

Did you already search for similar symptoms?

3. Bear Hunter macrumors 6502a

Bear Hunter

Probable answer, cpu and graphics card limitation. Netbooks are not gaming platforms.

4. pb1300 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Its an HP netbook, with windows XP on it. What happens is that when you play a game a few times, like Hearts/Freecell/etc., the computer locks them up and does not allow you to play them again, sort of like a demo.

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Then the user account will have some kind of restrictions in place so the children don't play to much. I don't know if Windows has some kind of parental control instruments on board that might limit the use of specified software to specified uses per day, but maybe have a look for some restriction software installed on that computer.

You could also ask the school if they implemented such restrictions, because I can't think of anything else, as Hearts and Free Cell are games included with Windows and not Demos.

Is there some kind of message that pops up when you cousin wants to open a game for the fourth time?

6. pb1300 thread starter macrumors 6502a

You know what...they all just dissapeared lol. The only games that are available now are the standard Windows games (Solitare, Freecell, etc.). Its ok though, I put Sims 3 on the netbook for her, so she should be occupied for a while. Thanks for the help though, I appreciate it!