Netbook suggestions

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bc008, Aug 16, 2008.

1. bc008 macrumors 68000

bc008

I am in need of a netbook for trips and such around the house..

I have a $400 - $550 budget.

These are the candidates:

-MSI Wind
    I dont know much about this, can someone tell me more?

-Asus eeepc
    Can someone help me understand the sloo of eee's?

-Dell E
    a company i have actually heard of, but not even out yet..

-Dell inspiron 1525
    best bang for my buck, but not very portable..

2. erikistired macrumors 6502

erikistired

i really want to nab an asus eee pc just to play around with. i'm not sure how usable it is, but it'd still be fun to tinker with.

3. jackmoney macrumors newbie

I was planning on the lenovo ideapad s10 coming out in october, it's 450 bucks and a great configuration, and even has an expresscard - which is the main thing i'm looking for.

unless somehow :apple: miraculously comes out with a nebook that's relatively comparable in price, this is probably the one i'm going to get.

4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

According to a whole slew of whiny idiots on Engadget, who were asked this very question recently, the Acer AspireOne is beautiful and solid (unlike other Acers) and a lot of people said it was the best. Of course, the rest of them got a vote as well (HP, MSI Wind, Asus, Lenovo....). They all have their flaws. I agree with a lot of their requirements for a netbook, namely decent performance using Win XP and Linux, and at least 6 hours of real-world battery life (i.e. LCD screen isn't down at minimum brightness for 6 hours). Some of them only have 3-cell batteries, so those models are out. If you need to add the optional 6-cell battery to get that kind of battery life, then you need to add the battery upgrade cost to the total price of the machine.

Personally, the Dell E-series sounds fantastic, and is worth waiting for, and I'm always willing to give Lenovo a chance, so the S10 Ideapad sounds good too. If they don't beat the Acer, then get the Acer, or an MSI Wind with 6-cell battery.

5. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...I'm waiting for my Asus eeePC 1000H to arrive.

Was looking at the MSI wind until they starting ***** with the pricing structure and then had the shortage on the 6 cell batteries...then the "new" LCD screen started getting bad reviews.

The Asus is also available at www.newegg.com for $549.00 USD which is the cheapest I've seen it so far (in-stock).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220370

6. bc008 thread starter macrumors 68000

bc008

thanks! just ordered!

7. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...I hope "we" enjoy them (...still waiting)...

8. ruku macrumors member

personally, id go for the lenovo idea pad s10 or s9 but id wait first to see if anyone has any luck installing osx on it. that would be a great machine. if i werent in a hurry id also wait a few more months as the soon to be released next atom cpu will be dual core and may have a chance at running vista or osx at a decent speed.
    but then again the next revision is also meant to be pin compatible so fire away and buy the next chip when it comes out. should cost all of 50 buckles.