Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Iscariot

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
Toronteazy
I'm strongly considering purchasing a netbook, and I'd like to hear some experiences from the illustrious and demanding users of MacRumors. My requirements are largely surfing and light business -- small spreadsheets, small documents, not running anything more demanding than Open Office. I also wouldn't mind watching the occasional movie on it, and I am prepared to use lower "iPod quality" resolution if necessary. I may also play around with hackintoshing it, but there's already a great thread on that.

Thoughts?

uberamd

macrumors 68030
May 26, 2009
Minnesota
I had one, and I hated it. I had the Acer Aspire One, and the thing was so small, cramped, and the quality felt atrocious I just couldn't hang onto it. Sure, it looks cool and people say "wow thats a neat computer", but besides from that it was a total disaster. I'll use my Macbook Air over the crappy experience of having a netbook any day.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
There's a very new Toshiba that's VERY nice looking, and built solid.

http://www.toshiba.ca/web/product.grp?lg=en&section=1&group=1&product=9350&category=

It's a really beautiful netbook, with aluminium keys (could have been grey plastic....I can't remember). However, there are also 12" netbooks coming out. Sure, you could get a full-fledged notebook for around $600, but they'd be much bulkier and heavier than a 12" netbook.

A lot of the older netbooks aren't as good as the most recently released netbooks, so it's hard to get a fair assessment from people unless they bought one of the most recent releases.

Iscariot

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
Toronteazy
There's a very new Toshiba that's VERY nice looking, and built solid.

http://www.toshiba.ca/web/product.grp?lg=en&section=1&group=1&product=9350&category=

It's a really beautiful netbook, with aluminium keys (could have been grey plastic....I can't remember). However, there are also 12" netbooks coming out. Sure, you could get a full-fledged notebook for around $600, but they'd be much bulkier and heavier than a 12" netbook.

A lot of the older netbooks aren't as good as the most recently released netbooks, so it's hard to get a fair assessment from people unless they bought one of the most recent releases.

I'm currently looking at a model with similar stats with a high hackintosh compatibility; so yeah, something like that. I'm not a huge tech guy though so I'm a little wary to order one without some feedback from people I trust.

You're right about size, weight and portability being one of the factors. I don't really want a full size notebook if I can avoid it.

nizmoz

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2008
I'm strongly considering purchasing a netbook, and I'd like to hear some experiences from the illustrious and demanding users of MacRumors. My requirements are largely surfing and light business -- small spreadsheets, small documents, not running anything more demanding than Open Office. I also wouldn't mind watching the occasional movie on it, and I am prepared to use lower "iPod quality" resolution if necessary. I may also play around with hackintoshing it, but there's already a great thread on that.

Thoughts?

I had the best Netbook out right now which was the Asus 1000HE. Sadly, it was good for what it is designed for, but that is it. I couldn't do normal browsing on it real well because of the screen size isn't a normal screen size. 1024x648 not 1024x768.

The reason I got the Asus is the keyboard is better, it had the fastest processor, and it was easy to upgrade the RAM and HD. It also comes with Bluetooth, and Wireless-N.

IMHO, Get a 13" normal notebook or a Macbook. I sold mine to a friend which wanted it for his wife. So I didn't lose out on that deal.

TSE

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
If all you are going to be doing is that light stuff, what is so wrong with Windows XP? If anything, I would consider TinyXP and just be done with it.

it5five

macrumors 65816
May 31, 2006
New York
I have been looking at netbooks too, and have seen nothing but excellent reviews for the Samsung NC10. It's a relatively older model though, so I don't know how it stacks up to the newer ones, but I think it still has some of the best battery life (~9 hours) available in a netbook. I wouldn't know about its hackintosh capabilities though, as I don't plan on running OS X on it.

fireshot91

macrumors 601
Jul 31, 2008
Northern VA
I had the MSI Wind U100, it was a great netbook.

All I wanted from it was for browsing, and casual IMing.

It failed at that, I returned it.

Netbooks are really not worth it, spend more money, and get a 13" notebook, and Hackintosh that.

But if you do want a netbook, get a Dell Mini 9.

MTI

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2009
Scottsdale, AZ
I have a Dell Mini 9 (discontinued) running OS X 10.5.7. It originally shipped with Ubuntu Linux, so for awhile we had Windows, OS X and Linux all in the same house on the same network, but I couldn't resist putting OS X on it.

The netbooks are all compromise machines in terms of screen resolution, keyboard size and overall computing power, but the compromises do not interfere with their ability to do most of the things that most people want out of a portable computer . . . web, mail, and light work in a very portable envelope.

If I were in the market, I'd consider getting the now discontinued Mini 10v since it is just as easy to install OS X and has a slightly better keyboard layout.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
The netbooks are all compromise machines in terms of screen resolution, keyboard size and overall computing power, but the compromises do not interfere with their ability to do most of the things that most people want out of a portable computer . . . web, mail, and light work in a very portable envelope.
Would agree with this overall.

What I've found with those who have asked for help in choosing a Netbook, is that most are disappointed overall. I stress the limitations (compromises) that you mention. In addition I talk about HD space which in some models is very limited. However, the small size and cheap price are alluring.

Upon purchase and a month or so use I start hearing the keyboard complaints, lack of power and issues with the small screen. A few complain about the limited storage.

I was ready to get a Netbook but decided that if I really needed a small lightweight computer that I would go with the MBA as there seems to be too many limitations with Netbooks these days. Besides, for checking my e-mail or doing some limited browsing, I have my iPod touch which is much more convenient and easier to carry than a Netbook for what I need.

Now if Apple made a 10.4 inch model of the MBA, I might be all over that. Even if it cost $800-900.

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
I have a Wind U100 and still have the pioneering eeePC 701 4G.

With the Wind I wiped off XP, threw in an n rated Broadcom card and hackintoshed it. Everything works. Coming from the ASUS, I had realistic expectations of what a netbook can and cannot do and the Wind met and surpassed them all.

The Wind is rock solid and runs youtube less noisily and cooler than my Macbook Pro. The recent 10.5.7 update gave an extra half an hour battery life, so that I average 4.5 hours of light use with the internet on and using a bluetooth mouse.

If you are expecting it to replace your Macbook then you will be disappointed, unless you never really needed the Macbook in the first place.

Iscariot

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
Toronteazy
Thanks for all the input guys! Just to clarify, I'm not necessarily going to hackintosh it, and I'm not using it in lieu of a real notebook or a desktop. I only need it for light surfing and keeping some very simple client records.

MTI

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2009
Scottsdale, AZ
I agree that many buyers of netbooks wind up disappointed because their expectations are too high. For me, the netbook fills the niche between my smartphone and my full sized 15" laptop/thigh heating device. It also serves as the "couch PC" in the family room, for use when you want to check a website advertised on tv or want to find out the name of the actor that just walked across the screen via IMDB. ;)

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
I agree that many buyers of netbooks wind up disappointed because their expectations are too high.
I think that this is a key point.

I am a gadget freak if you will. These days I have to be careful when I visit the electronic stores because there are so many cool Netbooks available for sale. Makes me want to buy one. But I also realize their limitations of which there are many. At the same time they provide a nice solution for those who's needs fit what the Netbooks can provide.

What I do know, is that with each passing year it is going to be more difficult not to purchase one with the way technology is moving forward.

coolwater

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2009
Thanks for all the input guys! Just to clarify, I'm not necessarily going to hackintosh it, and I'm not using it in lieu of a real notebook or a desktop. I only need it for light surfing and keeping some very simple client records.

Bought Samsung NC10 a month ago and I really love the machine. My main use is web browsing including YouTube and Hulu, and also Office. It does the job very well. Wireless internet is fast and great. It's so small and relatively light, I love to bring it to places that has Wi-Fi.

Also, 10.2" screen really does not feel that small most of the time. However, Samsung also has NC20 that is 12.1" and I am currently thinking about upgrading to that model. It only costs extra $100 compared to NC10.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.