Netbooks

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Nuck81, Jan 17, 2010.

1. Nuck81 macrumors regular

Anyone know much about the netbooks?

I know they are limited and realy only do Internet, Email, and the basics but are they reliable/worth it.

The GF fell in love with the Pink ones (go figure) and she could actually use something for her school and stuff. I've been looking at them but they all seem about the same to me.

Just looking for general advice. Good Brands, Good Prices etc....

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I use a Dell Mini 9. We had this thread yesterday, but a lot of those suggestions revolved around running OSX

3. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Not a good choice if you have large hands. The small screen gets annoying sometimes. Generally difficult to upgrade. I did use mine once to rip and convert a movie from DVD to an iPod and it took 4 hours so they are not the fastest things. Other than that they are great value for money if you only got a little coin. Best brands I have found are are Asus, Dell, Lenovo, Toshiba.

4. jtmx29 macrumors regular

jtmx29

Netbooks are great, however, know their limitations. A netbook can run XP, LINUX, HACKINTOSH, and some can run WINDOWS 7. With that said most netbooks are running a 1.6 ghz Intel Atom processor. You will be very limited in terms of performance with this processor. Internet, e-mail, and such all work flawlessly. Like said above know what you're getting into before you go purchasing.

The new netbooks will be pushing a little more, about 1.8 ghz w/ hyperthreading support. However, the same still exists as above. However, these new dies have a gpu built right on it along with the cpu. This is called the NVIDIA ION. So graphic performance has gone up allowing for hdmi out and such on certain nettops and netbooks.

Some of the top netbooks are:

MSI WIND
    DELL MINI 9, 10
    ASUS EEE PC

Just remember that they are frustrating to some extent. A ten inch or less screen isn't valued by many and can be frustrating. Also the keyboard can be frustrating.

It seems like a lot of negativity but I was a proud owner of a MSI WIND U120 and loved it. The netbook had the bigger keyboard versus others at that time. However, being a PC junkie I am the speed, keyboard, and screen size just weren't satisfying me.

Good luck and enjoy!

5. Nuck81 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for all the advice!!

This is strictly for the GF and she is a tiny thing.

She will mainly use it for Internet, Itunes, and probably writing her school papers.

Thanks again!!

6. Abraxsis macrumors 6502

Abraxsis

I own, and continue to use an Acer Aspire One w/ 160GB hard drive and 1gb RAM. Frankly, while I plan on selling it (just got a new MBP this week), I absolutely love it. It can do alot more than most people think as long as you uninstall all the garbage MS and Acer throw into the OS install. Im 6'2"and have fairly large hands, and after a week was able to type just as fast as I could on my iMac's keyboard. Its not as bad as people think.

I say get one, and I suggest Walmart if you decide to go Acer. They usually have some amazing deals on them. The Dell Mini 10 is also a very good choice, as is the Lenovo S10 ... Im not a fan of Asus personally, but I hear they have good reviews as well.

7. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

I have a MSI Wind u100 and it works just fine for me. I'm able to do majority of the things you would need to do on a regular laptop/pc. Look for a good netbook since it's for your gf, try to impress her at the least :D
    Goodluck. Oh, and if you want, I'm pretty sure you can hackintosh it ^_^

8. Nuck81 thread starter macrumors regular

I think her only wish was that it was pink and had flowers :rolleyes:

9. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

You could always buy a white one (plenty of them around) and skin it with a decal.

10. brendu macrumors 68020

if she is going to be writing papers dont get anything smaller than 10"

11. striatedglutes macrumors 6502

I could never get my trackpad settings how I wanted them on my Lenovo s10 (with 2GB ram) running 10.5.8. I've got windows 7 on it now, and it's pretty much flawless. OS X seemed sluggish for some reason? It would be interesting to install the latest snow leopard and chrome for mac...I might do that this weekend.

I never really used it for anything more than web browsing.

12. Nuck81 thread starter macrumors regular

I think that's what I'll do. I'm not going to buy an inferior product just because she thinks it "cuter"

She is really quite small with little hands, but I was going to try to find as close to a full size board as I could.

13. dvince2 macrumors 6502

dvince2

The HP/Compaq models have basically full sized keyboards.

14. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Lenovo has a pink S-10 model. Dell has the worst quality as does ASUS. Acer's AspireONE is pretty good. If you want an extra boost in performance, the HP Mini w/ the HD video enhancer card thing is the way to go.

Although, if your gf prefers pink, the Lenovo has a pink swirly, girly design. I think Acer only offers a pink color, no design.

15. Paul B macrumors 6502

If she wants a pink one, get her the best pink one.

16. Nuck81 thread starter macrumors regular

Bought this EMachine by Acer

I got it for $230 I thought for the harddrive it was a steal and I've already ordered the Ram upgrade.

Yes it's black but a Pink cover is on the way as well :)

17. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

lol. lucky you lol.