Netboot help

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by lostngone, Nov 7, 2009.

1. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

This is just for fun, I just ordered a new Mini with SL server installed and I want to start playing around with netboot for my home Macs. I have done some searching on MR and google and found some stuff but no real definitive guide on how to do it with SL. Does anyone know of a book or a website that walks you though building an image and setting up the netboot service and things to watch out for in snow leopard server?

2. kermit4161 macrumors regular

I haven't seen anything for SL yet. I know it was pretty much broken for me in Leopard Server. Seems everyone is going towards Deploystudio, but the instructions are rather sparse.

The Apple System Deployment book did go over the Netboot process. So I'd wait for them to get the SL version out. There were some issues with wrong info in the Leopard version (went to press too quick I guess), but it was a pretty good walkthrough of the process. I could just never get NetInstall/NetBoot to work on my server. I don't remember the exact name of the book... but it is published by Peachtree Publishing. You should be able to find it on Google.

I'm interested in the Mini server model too :). Looks like a sweet deal when you figure in the cost of SL Server.

Cheers!

Alan