Netboot problem

Discussion in 'macOS' started by tieuphi, Sep 6, 2007.

1. tieuphi macrumors newbie

Hi Friends,

I tried to netboot into my powerboot G4. At the moment when the spinning global for a while, the system goes to an error screen "we are hanging here".
    It is fine when we do the netboot for G5 machine. Anyone have any idea?

Thanks,

tp

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

I only have a little experience with Netbooting, but it sounds like you might be trying to boot a machine from a netboot image it can't run properly.

That is, the "hanging" message is (I assume) a kernel panic, which (since it's that early in the boot process) is probably caused by a low level incompatibility. Since the one that works is a G5 and completely different model, I'm guessing maybe you're trying to use the same boot image but it isn't compatible with the powerbook.

3. tieuphi thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your replying. I got another way around with this problem. First of all, I do the Target Mode Boot from the G4 laptop. Then, I do netboot from the G5 machine (since I can do the netboot on G5) with both external hard drive and G4 laptop firewire attach to it. Now, I select and restore the G4 laptop into the external hard drive. Is it cool!!! :cool:

Man, I love :apple:

tp