Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Netflix today introduced a new "Latest" section to its service, which is designed to highlight newly released titles and movies and TV shows that are coming soon.

According to Variety, the "Latest" section focuses specifically on just released titles, movies and TV shows coming in the current week, and movies and TV shows coming in the week after.

netflixlatest-800x450.jpg

Upcoming titles are teased with a trailer, and Netflix users can opt to be reminded when a particular TV show or movie becomes available on the service. Netflix plans to update "Latest" multiple times a day, with content personalized for each Netflix user. This appears to be separate from the New Releases and Trending sections that Netflix offers, as it also includes upcoming content.

The new section is accessible via the Netflix app sidebar and has started rolling out on Smart TVs, streaming devices, and game consoles as of Monday.

Article Link: Netflix Adds 'Latest' Section to Show Everything That's New and Coming Soon

Minxy

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2012
They've had NEW for years, and it NEVER shows what is actually new. Always have to find that info elsewhere. Will this be different, or just re-named?

exactly this! I use the U.K. store and newest section is a lie, it doesn’t show new films or programmes, it is normally just a curated list of crappy Netflix originals, and not even their news ones.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
From my experience, Netflix does not want to make it easy to find anything you like, quickly. By now they could have added so many useful ways to find what you are looking for. Nope, they just want you to keep scrolling and see all the stuff they have.

Still better than Amazon Prime Video. They don’t even group the same TV show, so when you’re browsing it’ll have all the seasons listed separately. Also a PITA to figure out where you left off.

Netflix is a godsend comparatively!

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
Now if we could just get it to STOP AUTOPLAYING VIDEO PREVIEWS. I know the marketing people say it "enhances engagement". I don't care. I already subscribe to your service, I'd like to be able to scroll through the list in peace.

I'd also like that list to actually stop when it hits the end (both vertically and horizontally), rather than wrapping around (or at least have some very distinct marker where it wraps around). I much prefer "okay, you've seen everything on offer (make a choice)" to just starting to get the uneasy feeling you've seen these particular selections before.

ke-iron

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2014
I cancelled Netflix a couple months ago. They’ve cancelled too many of my favorite shows. Sense 8 and now OA, come on. I think those shows were really good and unique too, they just cancelled it smh.

Reactions: tennisproha

twistedpixel8

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2017
Can we get a revamp on My List?? It's not sorted in any good way. Can I get a way to filter and sort? Please?

Also how about a way to remove stuff from “continue watching”, rather than having to find that “history” page in a web browser.

Reactions: CarlJ

twistedpixel8

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2017
exactly this! I use the U.K. store and newest section is a lie, it doesn’t show new films or programmes, it is normally just a curated list of crappy Netflix originals, and not even their news ones.

It constantly shows that there’s “new episodes” of Suits and other TV shows even though there haven’t been new ones added for weeks (or months). It’s a total mess.

You can go to the search page and scroll down the category list to “new releases” and “recently added” which actually seem to be in a bit better chronological order but still that gets messed up sometimes.

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
Apple has been rumored to be calling its service internally the Netflix killer.

But hey let’s talk about the mess that is the Atv app. Can’t play next episode automatically. Lost the view at top. Auto plays. Mixed in with your library. Channels you don’t want all over the place. But with only a few show it shouldn’t too hard to find what’s “new”.

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.