Netflix Airplay Airport express

Discussion in 'iPad' started by iPimpin, Mar 11, 2011.

1. iPimpin, Mar 11, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2011

iPimpin macrumors newbie

Simple question. How do I get Netflix to stream to my Stereo from my iPad so I can enjoy the sound from my iPad while watching Netflix through real speakers, Bose Companion 5? Really don't want to invest in Bluetooth audio to accomplish this simple task.

http://www.9to5mac.com/26896/netflix-works-over-airplay/

Attached Files:

2. iPimpin, Mar 11, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2011

iPimpin thread starter macrumors newbie

Anyone?is there a third party app to do this?

3. iPimpin thread starter macrumors newbie

4. rritterson macrumors 6502

netflix is using custom video playback code which doesn't, then, automatically make it airplay-compatible in 4.3. Netflix has stated that they do not plan to support airplay, but they might change their minds.

I am unaware of any 3rd party apps that will add the functionality in the 4.3 GM but there were hacks for the betas.

5. Caliber26, Mar 12, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2011

Caliber26 macrumors 68000

Caliber26

Good News: No 3rd Party App Needed

If what you're trying to do is view your Netflix content on the iPad screen but listen to the audio through your AirPort Express-connected speakers, YOU CAN:

1. Start your movie/show and tap the home button twice (like you do to switch between apps).
    2. Swipe the icons at the bottom to the right to bring up your iPod controls.
    3. Swipe to the right once more, and you'll see the AirPlay icon. Select your AirPlay-compatible device(s).
    4. Go back to Netflix and hit play.

The video resumes on your iPad's screen, but the audio will be streamed to your speakers. You'll have to repeat these steps to resume audio playback on your iPad.

I've AirPlayed mp3 files from my Dropbox App to my AppleTV using this same method, so that's how I figured Netflix is no different. Let me know if it works for you!

Attached Files: