Netflix App on iPad

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Slip Jigs, Feb 27, 2011.

1. Slip Jigs macrumors 6502a

Is it just me, or is the Netflix app sorta crappy? I also run Netflix on my PS3 and even that leaves a lot to be desired. The only thing that I've read about it along these lines are about occasion freezes and such which do happen but that's not my main issue. Here are a few things I've noticed and a tip for my workaround - any other feedback is welcome!

1. I mostly watch TV series', but I still haven't found where I can add one to my instant queue. If it's there, it's well hidden. So I end up adding it to my main queue, which also puts it in the instant queue, then manually delete each disk from the main queue.
    2. But you cant choose episodes from the queue, only the disk. So I have to go back to the main library and find the season, click the title and wait for the popup. This is slow. Finally, when the popup comes up, I click "More Details" which lists the episodes. I wouldn't even bother with the queue but I'd like it in there incase I want to watch it on TV.
    3. Then, the progress lines for the episodes are usually one step behind. After an episode, I go back to the launch page and the progress bar is not updated. Even exiting out and back in to the app doesn't always work.
    4. Another glitch, sometimes when exiting from the video screen, the app window does not change back to the proper resolution - it stays at the higher res but the window only occupies about 2/3 of the screen and the content is much smaller.

Those are my main complaints and work-arounds. With Netflix on just about every device out there, at least for the TV devices, the app seems to be for the device specifically. But the iPad version seems to be a slightly modified version of their website. I would think the iPad would be the one place they would pay extra attention to detail, not less. Maybe I have it all wrong - is it that out of all people who own an iPad and have a Netflix account, that there are only a small minority who use it to stream content?

2. iPcdebb macrumors member

iPcdebb

My experience is opposite. It views very well for me, and I always add to instant que. I am watching a tv series right now and once I pull up the main page (more details?) I can pick my episode. I wonder if the Internet traffic has something to do with it, everything is snappy for me.

3. Slip Jigs thread starter macrumors 6502a

I use the "More Details" to get to the episodes, I just think that the episodes should be connected to the queue like it is on set-top boxes.

How do you add it to the instant Q without adding it to the main Q? I can't seem to find where to do that.

4. Kadin macrumors 6502a

Kadin

I love Netflix on my iPad... 2nd only to my PS3. What exactly do you hate about the PS3 experience? For me the shows buffer up so fast compared to my 360 and even my computer. As to the iPad, not a single complaint.

5. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I've noticed the same things.

To be honest, they don't really bother me that much. I suspect that they'll get around to fixing them in a future update, maybe they are waiting till the next iOS release.

On the other hand, the Netflix app on my AppleTV is fantastic.

6. filmbuff macrumors 6502a

filmbuff

I ditched Netflix after a month. The app is basically just a link to their website, all of the content sucks (the only thing I watched was all 6 seasons of Dog the Bounty Hunter), and most of all the video quality is garbage. Most of the movies aren't even in the right aspect ratio.

7. Rapmastac1 macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

I'm having a good experience with Netflix on my iPad. I have the Wifi only iPad so I have it tethered to my HTC HD2 to get access to my unlimited 3G network. Videos play fine, however they are low quality but what do you expect on that kind of network.

I find the selection of content to be very large. All the shows I watch on Netflix at home I can watch on the iPad. I don't use it too much to be honest, but I like having it there for when I want to watch something random.

8. benji888 macrumors 65816

benji888

I think netflix's iPad app is a bit lacking also, biggest complaint I have, though I experienced this once in another app, so I'm not sure if it is the Netflix app or QuickTime on the iPad, but sometimes I will watch a movie and the aspect ratio is WAY off, squashed ppl, but once in a while the video quality goes down and then, usually only for seconds at a time, it will switch to the correct aspect ratio, only to return to squashed people.:confused:is it the Netflix app?

Another thing...no way to complain about these types of issues w/Netflix, only very limited choices.:mad: