Netflix App

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by Resist, Aug 28, 2010.

1. Resist macrumors 68030

How is it that AT&T didn't seem to have an issue with the Netflix App that besides using Wifi also uses 3G, when they had a huge issue with the Slingbox app on 3G and held its release for a long time? It also seems to me that Facetime should now be on 3G as well now.

2. pamon macrumors 6502

facetime will eventually be on 3G but not until att updates their network completely. it would crush 3g

3. Resist thread starter macrumors 68030

How will Facetime crush the 3G network anymore than the Slingbox app or the Netflix app would? Other AT&T phones currently are allowed to do video chat.

So if the iPhone has such a small percentage of the market (according to AT&T), how could it possibly use all the bandwidth in their network? Their logic makes no sense.

4. JoEw macrumors 65816

JoEw

Because anything the iPhone does no matter what is data intensive to ATT.
    No joke att's network could barely handle network congestion of iphone users loading basic HTML/CSS pages yet alone streaming video for long periods.

When ATT is ready to charge us 30 bucks a month for facetime over 3g they will be ready :rolleyes:

if you can't wait why not jailbreak your device and get the app My3G which will let you use facetime over 3g.

5. Resist thread starter macrumors 68030

I get that, but my point was that there are already approved apps that are huge video/audio hogs, yet AT&T let Apple approve them.

6. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

With many people on tiered data plans, AT&T can make more money from an app like Netflix.

7. Resist thread starter macrumors 68030

Exactly! If they can't connect via Wifi and are using the cell network, then AT&T will make a fortune. Glad I kept my $30 a month unlimited data plan.