Netflix audio issue

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by SnowLeopard2008, May 28, 2014.

1. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I'm experiencing an audio issue with Netflix on Apple TV. I tried watching different movies, TV shows, etc. and I hear no audio. I thought my speakers were the problem since my speakers broke before. Nope. I played some songs from my iCloud and audio was perfect. I even watched some random Bloomberg TV clip and both audio and video was perfect. Is anyone else experiencing an audio issue with Netflix playback on their Apple TV? I have the latest one and never had problems of any kind. I think I have some warranty left but just wanted to ask around before I make a Genius Bar appointment.

2. cynics macrumors G4

I had a similar problem but it was when AirPlay. Reseting the AppleTV solved my problem.

On the remote press and hold Down + Menu until the LED flashes rapidly on the ATV itself, then release. No data will be lost. Worth a shot if you haven't tried that yet.

3. SnowLeopard2008, May 28, 2014
    Last edited: May 28, 2014

SnowLeopard2008 thread starter macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I did a full restore already. But that hasn't fixed it. I'll try your idea tho. No harm right?

I tried it and it didn't work. I see hear the "click" noise when navigating through menus. Just no audio. Other audio like music playback works perfect. Just not Netflix. Leads me to think it's a Netflix issue.

4. SnowLeopard2008 thread starter macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I tried resetting but no dice. Still no Netflix audio. I guess I'll just take it to the Genius Bar, my warranty ran out so I have no idea how much they will charge to fix this or if it is even worth.

5. andrewjaques macrumors newbie

Just a thought, but have you changed your HDMI cable? I've experienced dropped audio from an older generation HDMI cable that occurred when watching movies, but nothing else. I figured it was the extra bandwidth needed for Dolby Digital, and a brand new Amazon Basics cable for £3 worked fine. Perhaps that's why yours works with stereo music but not with Netflix.

6. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

Not sure what the problem was but the audio signal is contained within the video "blanking" area (between frames) and DD requires the least amount of bandwidth of all multi-channel codecs. If you get video the audio is also present (since it's inside the video signal).