netflix...best way to use?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aliensarecool, Mar 24, 2012.

1. aliensarecool macrumors 6502a

aliensarecool

does it work fine on just 3g with no wifi? what is needed to hook it up to my TV from my iphone? also will it work in my JVC in dash dvd player?

2. kevink2 macrumors 65816

If your in dash JVC advertises netflix support, and has a way to connect to the internet, then yes. Does it have a netflix logo on it?

netflix will work fine over 3G. But it uses up data pretty fast. So you have to watch your data usage. I used up about 2GB of data one week when I was in a hotel with unusable wifi.

3. socalif macrumors newbie

lc21331

how many movies did you watch do you remember?

one tip is not to watch too many HD releases (not that Netflix has many anyway), in terms of usage I think silverlight is slightly lighter than Flash when it comes to video

4. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Also, with 3G it auto-detects the speed and sends you lower quality files if needed.

And it's not just good/bad. There's a lower one for 3G and a REALLY lower one if the speed's not great. It can change in the middle of a movie sometimes if situations change.

So even besides limited data plans, I always suggest using wifi if possible for this reason.

It's possibly to hook up your iPhone to a TV, but nearly everything has Netflix in it these days. Apple TV, Roku, Playstation, Wii, many Blu Ray players, etc. I'd suggest finding one of those rather than having to use your phone to watch movies on your TV.

5. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

You can get the AV component cables for the iPhone/iPod, however retail is something like $50. At that point I'd rather have an Apple TV for $100 and be done with it. So much more you can do with the Apple TV, especially once it's jailbroken.

As far as bandwidth usage, I would give a rough estimate of about 200mb per hour of video streamed over a 3G connection.

6. cynics macrumors G4

I've had great results over 3G when streaming to a mobile device. The screen size makes up for the lack of resolution if the connection is slow.

3G streaming to a large tv is another story. On my razr that supports hd Netflix is pretty good, my iPhone on the other hand is just "ok".

USUALLY when at a tv there is a wifi connection available so speed isn't an issue.