Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Seanyboy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
Just wondering if anyone has any tips to sort this out or is the Netflix app just not as good on ATV?

I have a 4K 2nd Gen and a 4K FireStick both connected to a HD (not 4K) 65” Samsung TV. Both are set to 1080p.

I am trying to watch the Sandman but it appears so blurry on the ATV that it looks like I’m viewing it on a slow internet connection. It’s not great but I normally get about 70mbps on a 75mbps connection.

Both devices are effectively plugged into the same HDMI slot as they both route through a Hue Sync box.

I have switched over to the FireStick to watch Netflix now but I really miss the great sound through a couple of original HomePods. Is there anything I can do or is it the Netflix app that is the problem?

-Gonzo-

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2015
What video setting is the ATV4K set to?
One thing you could check is to make sure that under Match Content that Match Dynamic Range is switched off.

Reactions: Seanyboy

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
Try upgrading your HDMI cable 😉

Seriously, sounds like a WiFi issue to me. Maybe the Fire Stick just has a better antenna or is in a slightly better position compared to the Apple TV. Is there anything you can do to get a better connection to the Apple TV?

kirbalo

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2022
I'm pretty convinced that this is a "Netflix" app issue... I have both generations of ATV4K (15.6), have Comcast connected via ethernet at 600Mbps (actually is closer to 700Mbps) and if I have it set to 1080P (Dolby Vision) into my Sony 4K, certain, but not all, series, movies, etc. are blurry on and off. If I switch to 4K (Dolby Vision), it is pristine. Match Content and Match Dynamic Range are switched off. Point is, in my case, it's not the HDMI cables, not Wi-Fi, and not the TV. Netflix hasn't updated their ATV app. in a while... (current version 2.1.24, released May 2, 2022)

I will update to TVOS 16 today and re-evaluate to see if anything is different...

Just my $0.02 worth...

kirbalo

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2022
I will update to TVOS 16 today and re-evaluate to see if anything is different...
...and I updated to TVOS 16, no change. I also checked both with and without Dolby Vision enabled, just to eliminate variables...no change.

On a separate ATV4K, into a Samsung 1080P SDR, I have the same issue...

Last edited:

Cruizen

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2022
Australia
I changed 4K and HDR settings to 1080p sdr HDR off on ATV4k 128, as it appears to conflict with HDR on my 4K tv settings, the streaming picture quality is much better and not washed out and dull. This seemed to work with my Xbox series x as well.
Has anybody else had this problem?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.