Netflix bringing my mini to its knees

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Meister, Apr 7, 2015.

1. Meister Suspended

Meister

I noticed before, that netflix seems to be an extreme memory hog.
    So today after watching the latest episode of Better Call Saul, I took a screenshot of my memory pressure. Amazing ....

[​IMG]

I can edit 30mb raw files in Ps and Lr with no problems and low green memory pressure, but netflix... wtf!?

The iPad and :apple:TV can stream netflix without any problems. What is causing this.

Your thoughts appreciated :)

2. Darby67 macrumors 6502

Unfortunatley no answer for you, but some questions. Which OS are you on? If I remember correctly Netflix used to need Silverlight in the early days, but not sure if that is still the case: do you have Silverlight and is it up-to-date? Better Call Saul doesn't appear to be on Netflix yet for streaming...wondering how it was causing problems for you on Netflix? Perhaps not available in the U.S. yet?

3. Meister thread starter Suspended

Meister

Yosemite and silverlight. All up to date. I've experienced the same on my rmbp with 8gb ram. Netflix just seems to suck up all the memory it can get. Memory pressure even went into the red! Once I closed the netflix tab it immediately dropped to rock bottom. This is does not make any sense, since streaming netflix works on devices with much, much less ram.

4. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

If it was Silverlight it should be listed similarly to how Flash is listed there. Safari in Yosemite switched to hardware-assisted DRM HTML5 for Netflix on Sandy Bridge and later Macs so it may not even be using Silverlight.

5. Meister thread starter Suspended

Meister

6. cynics macrumors G3

You could try to force Silverlight (vs HTML5). In Safari, Develop, User Agent, Safari 7.1.5.

In a quick test I found Silverlight uses less memory (this may change if I let the movie play out though).