Netflix crashed my iMac

Discussion in 'macOS' started by martyrk, Mar 11, 2010.

1. martyrk macrumors regular

martyrk

Nothing else was running, there have been some issues with running netflix and the image freezing but audio would continue, and the only way to get to undo was to hold the power button until it turned off.

Well I did it this last time and now the computer asks for a bootable disk

What could have happened from this situation, and how to fix the booting situation? Is netflix the culprit?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I seriously doubt Netflix had anything to do with the issue

Have you tried booting from your install disk and running Disk Utility?

3. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Well, while it is not "Netflix" persay, it could be Silverlight which is what Netflix uses.

You may want to check that you have the latest version of Silverlight. If you already have the latest, try a reinstall of Silverlight.

Since your problems sound like it is more that just "Netflix." Follow the above advice and run a Disk Repair from Disk Utility.

4. martyrk thread starter macrumors regular

martyrk

I cannot find the install disk, is this something I can run the iMac as a target disk and then run Disk Utility from lets say my macbook? Am I verifying disk and repairing disk?

5. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

You can run a verify while booted to the startup disk. Run that and determine whether or not the volume has any problems.

6. martyrk thread starter macrumors regular

martyrk

I can't boot the computer at all right now. How am i suppose to run disk utility without the install disks and it doesnt start?

7. tonyburkhart macrumors regular

tonyburkhart

If you can't boot at all - no lights, whirs, bings, bangs, booms, or the lovely Mac start-up sound - it sounds like your power supply or logic board are fried.

8. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Boot into single user mode by holding Command + S when you turn the Mac on.

It will list a few commands one will be:

Code:
    /sbin/fsck -fy
    That will run a volume check, force it to scan the volume and answer yes to any questions that may be asked.

If your volume is reported as ok you probably have something else causing problems.

Try Safe Boot by holding Shift while starting the Mac, if it boots, report back and we can go from there.

9. martyrk thread starter macrumors regular

martyrk

Well I ended up finding my startup disk and booting from that. I verified the disk and found nothing, and for *****s and giggles i repaired the disk for nothing since verifying found nothing. Restarted the computer and as if nothing was ever wrong. WTF!?