Netflix - fans howling

sharatmasetty

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 27, 2010
Hi, I did not know where to post this question.

I have a 2010 MBP core i5, with high res display,

When I run Netflix in chrome browser, I see that the both left and right fans reach 6000 RPM within no time , and the rpm does not come down even after ~ 15 minutes or so.

I did the same exercise on the safari browser and the situation is much better there, the fan speeds do not exceed 3k consistently.

On the istat pro all the temps are around late 60's and early 70s In Celcius, when watching the movie,

In general I feel that Netflix + silverlight combo are taxing the processor, and will crank up the fans. I am really concerned about this..

Has anyone else been in the same boat ? Are there any good ways to improve this situation? I m open to discussion :)..

--Sharat.

sharatmasetty

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 27, 2010
LOL

Yes, even I was suspecting silverlight to be te culprit here. I dont know why netflix had to opt for silverlight.

Anyways I have the option of streaming on to xbox, but I have to update to gold account just for this, as I am not a big online multiplayer guy.

And as far as the price increase goes, I am sticking to the streaming only plan and planning to use redbox for dvd rentals.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.