Netflix - fans howling

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sharatmasetty, Jul 12, 2011.

1. sharatmasetty macrumors newbie

Hi, I did not know where to post this question.

I have a 2010 MBP core i5, with high res display,

When I run Netflix in chrome browser, I see that the both left and right fans reach 6000 RPM within no time , and the rpm does not come down even after ~ 15 minutes or so.

I did the same exercise on the safari browser and the situation is much better there, the fan speeds do not exceed 3k consistently.

On the istat pro all the temps are around late 60's and early 70s In Celcius, when watching the movie,

In general I feel that Netflix + silverlight combo are taxing the processor, and will crank up the fans. I am really concerned about this..

Has anyone else been in the same boat ? Are there any good ways to improve this situation? I m open to discussion :)..

--Sharat.

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Yep Silverlight will keep you warm at night.

My AppleTV2 keeps me cool.

3. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Misleading thread title, I thought this was about the price increase making people unhappy! :D

4. sharatmasetty thread starter macrumors newbie

LOL

Yes, even I was suspecting silverlight to be te culprit here. I dont know why netflix had to opt for silverlight.

Anyways I have the option of streaming on to xbox, but I have to update to gold account just for this, as I am not a big online multiplayer guy.

And as far as the price increase goes, I am sticking to the streaming only plan and planning to use redbox for dvd rentals.