Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

netflix_ipad.jpg

Following up on last month's promise that it would be launching an updated user interface for its iPad application, Netflix has just updated its universal iOS app to version 2.0. The new update brings the updated iPad interface, compatibility with new streaming services in Latin America, and several other improvements.
New in Netflix v 2.0

1. Netflix now available in Latin America for iPhone and iPad
2. New iPad UI for all regions - US, Canada, Latin America - requires upgrade to iOS 5
3. Addressed stability issues
4. For support questions please contact us at mobilesupport@netflix.com
As Netflix previously noted when the revised interface debuted on Android tablets, the app now displays twice as many movies and TV shows as with the old interface, making it easier for users to discover new content to add to their Instant Queues.

Netflix is a free download, but requires a monthly subscription to Netflix's streaming service.

(Thanks, Arthur!)

Article Link: Netflix for iOS Updated with New iPad Interface

dpruitt

Suspended
Mar 28, 2010
Too bad

Too bad 800,000 people won't see it. If they just merge the one DVD a month and the streaming back into one package, I'd come back. OR if they streamed all their movies. The way it is set up now, you HAVE to may 15.00 a month if you want access to the entire library. FAIL.

PeterQVenkman

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2005
Too bad 800,000 people won't see it. If they just merge the one DVD a month and the streaming back into one package, I'd come back. OR if they streamed all their movies. The way it is set up now, you HAVE to may 15.00 a month if you want access to the entire library. FAIL.

What, you don't like their seemingly endless selection of streaming direct to video movies starring Dolph Lundgren? ;)

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
i'm looking forward to the new interface as the old one is just so poor for navigating around.

HarryKeogh

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
I know Netflix has their hands tied but I had to give it up and the umpteenth time that I searched for something and it was only available on disc.

harley3k

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2008
I tried Netflix when I got the new AppleTV that supported it.

I had it for about 10 months or so and I spent more time navigating the interface looking for something to watch than I actually spent watching.

Their selection just wasn't worth $8/month to me.
I can rent 2 current movies from iTunes for almost the same price.

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
This interface is great for something like the iPad.

It sucks on a computer with a mouse, though. InstantWatcher.com ftw.

Cancelled
Aug 18, 2005
New app looks good - I hope they come to Ireland soon like they are planning.

I know they won't offer the latest movies (I assume, their website won't even show me what they offer at present) but it'll be nice to watch some oldies.

Mad Man

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2011
I tried Netflix when I got the new AppleTV that supported it.

I had it for about 10 months or so and I spent more time navigating the interface looking for something to watch than I actually spent watching.

Their selection just wasn't worth $8/month to me.
I can rent 2 current movies from iTunes for almost the same price.

Guess you don't have kids .... For just me and my wife it probably wouldn't be worth it ... but my kids make heavy use of the streaming and it's so much cheaper than buying all the DVD's (and renting would be way way more expensive since kids watch movies over and over again).

So, I agree, there is for many people limited use of streaming, but for some it means great savings.

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

The iPhone app is still awful. It's just clunky and hard to navigate. I was hoping for a lot more on the iPhone with this update.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I’m disappointed in Netflix’s streaming movie selection (especially compared to their awesome DVD library), but their selection of streaming TV series is another matter. I’m seriously thinking of getting Netflix again for that. It beats a huge cable bill, I can watch any time with no schedule or recording... and no ads!

jasperk99

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2009
The new interface looked nice yesterday, but I lost all my recently watched shows and I kept crashing while watching

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Too bad Netflix's selection is so bad in Canada. Almost no recent movies, lots of missing older movies and mostly crappy TV series.

lhammer610

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2003
Lexington, VA
Need an App for Disk Subscribers

I dropped streaming because of the poor selection, but continue to be on the 3 disks at a time plan.

Have you ever visited their website on an iPad? It just generally does not work. Try clicking on a link. Most of the time, the only way to open a link is to press and hold, then open in a new tab. I use my iPad for most of my web browsing, but it is almost impossible to update my selections at Netflix.

Netflix is the only website that I visit that does not seem to work well for the iPad version of Safari.

Mitchelino

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Wow. I'm loving the new interface. It's so much easier to browse now. I find it even faster to browse than on Netflix's website.

Regarding the price, I think $8 a month is a steal. If you watch 2 movies a month, you've already got your money's worth. Sure, there's a lot of crap, but there are also a lot of hidden gems I've stumbled upon thanks to Netflix's suggestions for me based on my viewing history.

Too bad Netflix's selection is so bad in Canada. Almost no recent movies, lots of missing older movies and mostly crappy TV series.
I find their selection is good, and I've been using Netflix for 10 months. I honestly have a hard time keeping up with all the new content.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
I dropped streaming because of the poor selection, but continue to be on the 3 disks at a time plan.

Have you ever visited their website on an iPad? It just generally does not work. Try clicking on a link. Most of the time, the only way to open a link is to press and hold, then open in a new tab. I use my iPad for most of my web browsing, but it is almost impossible to update my selections at Netflix.

Netflix is the only website that I visit that does not seem to work well for the iPad version of Safari.

There's an App for that! In fact, probably a dozen disk queue management apps from 3rd party developers, for free.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
Guess you don't have kids .... For just me and my wife it probably wouldn't be worth it ... but my kids make heavy use of the streaming and it's so much cheaper than buying all the DVD's (and renting would be way way more expensive since kids watch movies over and over again).

So, I agree, there is for many people limited use of streaming, but for some it means great savings.

the kids selection is not only bad, but a lot of times only a few episodes per season

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
Great value for $8

I have a love/hate relation with Netflix, sometimes I am so into them, sometimes I actually freeze my membership for months at a time.

That said, for just $8 you get a very good selection. Yes it is very thin on the blockbuster / popular movie front, but the kids selection is great, documentaries are very recent, and foreign / indy movies are fantastic. Thanks to Netflix I discovered and watched incredible movies that I didn't know existed.

FaustsHausUK

Contributor
Mar 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
My iPad is at home so I can't try this, but I hope it's better than their new Xbox 360 user experience. Honestly the most shockingly poor interface I've had to use in a while.

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
Yes it is very thin on the blockbuster / popular movie front, but the kids selection is great, documentaries are very recent, and foreign / indy movies are fantastic. Thanks to Netflix I discovered and watched incredible movies that I didn't know existed.

You know, libraries typically have those categories of movies, and you already have paid for them in your taxes.

stukick

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2000
Funny, the Netflix app for my Kindle Fire has looked like that since it launched.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.