Netflix ghosting effect around edges

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by theviewer19855, Jan 10, 2018.

1. theviewer19855 macrumors newbie

theviewer19855

Hey guys,

For those who dont have this issue, theres no good way to explain it... but i think people who have seen this will know what I mean.

So i have Apple TV 4k and a LG OLED. It seems this is exclusive to netflix, but there is a strange oil-like, ghosting effect around characters. It seems especially bad in medium-fast paced moving scenes with lots of detail behind the characters.

So a prime example would be a character with a blind behind them while they walk around an office... or a characters jogging past a fence.

It doesnt happen for certain when using LGs own smart software. And I am quite certain, this only happens on netflix.

Any ideas what this could be?

2. steve23094 macrumors 68020

steve23094

This can be image processing on your TV or poor encoding on Netflix.

3. Codexaudio macrumors newbie

Codexaudio

Turn on the setting on the apple 4ktv to allow formats other than 4k to be displayed without alteration.

4. priitv8 macrumors 68030

AppleTV does not do resolution pass-through. It always upscales all content to 4K.
    The settings shown in the video only apply to HDR and framerate.

5. waw74 macrumors 68030

it's motion smoothing,
    turn off tru-motion

it's enabled on a port by port basis, so killing it for the onboard netflix player won't kill it for the appleTV coming in on a HDMI port, and also i believe each setting (vivid, sport, bright room, etc) is different for each port

i notice it when people are driving, and around the pillar of the car where the outside is flying by it gets fuzzy

6. theviewer19855 thread starter macrumors newbie

theviewer19855

Ah i wasn't notified of any of these replies.

I will check on this potential fix with tru-motion... and update the thread with my findings :)