Netflix HDR

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by blackened21, Sep 11, 2018.

1. blackened21 macrumors newbie

I'm having an issue with Netflix and my apple tv 4k

When I watch HDR content from Netflix I'm not getting the HDR badge pop. it pops up when I watch Dolby vision content just not HDR

does this happen for everyone else?

2. Audit13 macrumors 68030

Audit13

Does the HDR icon appear with other video sources?

3. blackened21 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Audit13 macrumors 68030

Audit13

Do you know of a Netflix show in HDR? I can only find Dolby Vision or Ultra 4k.

5. cynics macrumors G4

Since you are watching Netflix through a device that supports Dolby Vision (AppleTV 4k) it will only show the Dolby Vision tag on content. You still get HDR (in whatever version your TV supports) through the AppleTV 4k.

When I switch to the Samsung TV app many (all?) the titles in DV on the AppleTV report as HDR.

Amazon....I don't know what is going on there. Half the time I will get HDR and half the time I won't. I don't know if my internet speed is right on the verge of them now enabling/disabling it or what. The HDR tag comes and goes too however it doesn't reflect if HDR is going to play or not. This is in the Samsung smart TV app and on my Apple TV 4k, which is why I assume its based on internet speed (even though I have 75mbps down). Regardless I don't think you'll get the Dolby Vision tag with Amazon Prime, not at least through the AppleTV (I couldn't be wrong though) so everything that is HDR will just say HDR.

Amazon's surround sound is just as flaky btw, if I mute the front 3 channels I lose dialogue but maintain background audio however some people have trouble with 5.1 from Amazon. I wouldn't be surprised if sometimes I'm getting 2 channels and just don't realize it. According to Amazon 5.1 is supported via the AppleTV 4k and 4th gen.

Regardless I'm not impressed with Amazons app or unpredictable service.

6. Audit13, Sep 13, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2018

Audit13 macrumors 68030

Audit13

If the Apple TV Netflix app indicates a show is in DV, the LG Netflix app also indicates the same show is in DV. Both apps trigger the DV logo on my TV.

None of the Netflix 4k movies will trigger the HDR logo on my tv when played back with the LG app or Apple TV.

Come to think of it, I don't recall ever seeing the HDR logo appear when playing anything from Netflix on my Apple TV or LG app. I only see the HDR logo from iTunes movies.

7. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

You do have the special plan via netflix for UHD streaming correct?

8. Audit13 macrumors 68030

Audit13

9. Andrewtst macrumors 6502

Andrewtst

Netflix in Apple TV 4K always display as Dolby Vision if the show is HDR/Dolby Vision.

My Panasonic or Mi Box wise will show as HDR is the film is HDR.

10. Audit13 macrumors 68030

Audit13

I ordered the global version of the Mi Box 3 a few days ago to supplement my Apple TV 4k.

11. Andrewtst macrumors 6502

Andrewtst

You may disappointed with it performance compare with Apple TV 4K with some unsolved issue/bugs..

12. Audit13 macrumors 68030

Audit13

It will be used to playback files from a hard drive using Kodi. If it doesn't work well, I'm giving it to my brother:D

13. Andrewtst macrumors 6502

Andrewtst

Connect to external HDD not support. Even a 32GB thumb drive also got problem.

Mi Box only capable for normal streaming and for user don't might frame rate switching not working.

Connect to Bluetooth speaker also breaking the Netflix 4K capability and play in HD only.

You can direct give to your brother already. Haha!

14. Audit13 macrumors 68030

Audit13

Really? I checked other forums and people said the mi Box supports playback of BluRay files from a usb drive with Kodi. If that didn't work, I'll try streaming from a NAS drive I'm going to set up.

I'll also try to stream using the Apple TV for comparison.

15. Andrewtst, Sep 17, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2018

Andrewtst macrumors 6502

Andrewtst

Not really work in proper if direct attached HDD. Some more the new version is full of bugs that will shock you.

Here is the bugs list - https://xiaomi.eu/community/threads/mi-box-3-master-bug-list.44784/

They closed for user submit more bugs because it is too many already.

From NAS should be ok for stream actual blu-ray quality but for 4K blu-ray I think can't as even in Apple TV 4K for total smoothness in actual 4K blu-ray quality playback I need to use wired instead of Wi-Fi.