Netflix iOS App Gains Unobtrusive Volume Indicator and 10-Second Double Tap Controls for Some Users

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 31, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Netflix appears to be testing -- or slowly rolling out -- a new user interface control scheme for its iOS app, which enables an unobtrusive volume indicator and lets users jump forwards or backwards in a video with a quick double-tap gesture.

As spotted by Redditor mm2nam, the update brings Netflix's video controls closer to those of YouTube on iOS, which lets users double tap on the right edge of the screen to fast forward 10 seconds and on the left side to rewind 10 seconds. Netflix's implementation includes the double tap gesture, as well as physical buttons on the screen that appear after you tap once on the video to bring up the playback controls.

[​IMG]
    Image via Redditor mm2nam

Quick time jump controls have become increasingly popular in a variety of apps and in certain products, with Apple itself using a similar feature on its Siri Remote for Apple TV. On fourth and fifth generation devices, users can swipe to the right and click to jump forward 10 seconds and the same to go back 10 seconds, as long as the app supports Apple's native playback controls.

In regards to the volume indicator, Netflix currently has a bit of an unclear method for this piece of UI: some users lack an indicator completely, while others still see Apple's large, semi-translucent square that blocks most of the video every time the volume is toggled. It appears that along with the new 10-second playback gestures, Netflix is also planning to release a unified and unobtrusive volume indicator, which sits at the top of the screen, similar to YouTube and Instagram.

With no further information available regarding the update, it's unclear how widely available it is and if it will be launching for all users soon. Many users on the original Reddit thread commented about not having the update, and no one at MacRumors has yet seen either the double tap gestures or new volume indicator. We've reached out to Netflix for comment and will update the post if we hear back.

Article Link: Netflix iOS App Gains Unobtrusive Volume Indicator and 10-Second Double Tap Controls for Some Users

2. goonie4life9 macrumors regular

It’s baffling to me that Apple has made a core UI element so intrusive that developers have to devise their own workarounds.

3. otozuz macrumors regular

otozuz

Federighi: “Number 6... Unobtrusive volume indicator”

Crowd goes crazy.

4. jmh600cbr macrumors 6502a

jmh600cbr

:p 100% ACCURATE

5. kagharaht macrumors 6502a

How about turning OFF AUTO Play or Preview when navigating. Most annoying dumb feature ever implemented. If Netflix didn't have the show I want to watch, this dumb feature alone is reason enough to cancel them.

6. otozuz macrumors regular

otozuz

Exasperate the users with the lack of an obvious functionality and then announce it as a key feature. It would be typically Apple.

Remember the copy/paste feature announcement?

7. itsmilo macrumors 68020

itsmilo

One of those things where I wonder how Tim Cook does not get annoyed by that thing and demand his developers to change this immediately the first time he was using an iPhone.

Just like DnD not letting me pick days

8. thebluepotato macrumors member

As powerful as Netflix may be, I strongly doubt the buttons that appear are actually physical, opping out of the screen haha

9. nholm macrumors newbie

nholm

I have the new features in version 10.9.0 of the iOS app.

10. ignatius345 macrumors 68000

YES. This drives me insane too.

11. SoN1NjA macrumors 68000

SoN1NjA

Even the bugs, I can't imagine Craig doesn't get infuriated when he experiences the major issues with iOS 11 ― Now, he does always have the newest iPhone model, but those are also experiencing software issues

12. skellener macrumors 68000

skellener

Tim Cook's Apple in a nutshell.

13. Appleaker macrumors 68020

It seems they are just testing a the moment. They may not need some of the changes if iOS 12 has a new volume indicator. it seems unlikely that we won't see it at this point.

14. npmacuser5, May 31, 2018
    Last edited: May 31, 2018

npmacuser5 macrumors 65816

npmacuser5

I would be happy if Netflix separated movies and shows in the watch list while making the watch list
    expandable. That one line scrolling a pain. :(

15. VictorTango777 macrumors 6502

When watching Netflix on a Mac, the controller at the bottom of the screen is opaque. This is just as bad as the intrusive blurred out volume overlays on iOS and Mac, and the blurred out overlay in QuickTime Player on Mac. The Amazon Prime Video interface on Mac is much better looking, with transparency that allows content underneath to be viewable instead of blurred out.

16. legacyb4 macrumors 6502a

Several updates a few months ago, the double-tap fast forward appeared but an update a week later removed it; hopefully it becomes standard for everyone!

17. scott523 macrumors 6502a

New features are still a bit buggy, hence still in beta. Pinch to zoom not working at times. When using AirPods, the volume indicator appears every 1-3min although volume not adjusted.

18. thefourthpope macrumors 6502a

thefourthpope

I think I turned this off in profile settings

19. kagharaht macrumors 6502a

Tried it doesn’t work.

20. Michael Goff Suspended

Michael Goff

Didn’t Apple already introduce an unobtrusive volume control with iOS 11?