Netflix iPhone App launch imminent?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dhjapple89, Aug 2, 2010.

1. dhjapple89 macrumors member

Hey guys, I just searched "netflix" on the App Store on my iPhone 4, and netflix, inc. is showing up, but when I clicked it, it said "no matches" do you think that the netflix app is about to be approved by the App Store team?

I do have a U.S. iPhone, but I am currently studying in the UK so that is why vodafone shows up. So my App Store that shows up is the U.S. app store.

Attached Files:

2. chembox macrumors 6502a

Interesting find.

I know streaming will be WiFi-only, but I've love to cross my fingers and hope.

3. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

That's been there for weeks actually.

4. hobbbz macrumors 6502a

hobbbz

No, it's because they have an iPad app. Their company is in the DB but not available for iPhone.

5. dhjapple89 thread starter macrumors member

So your saying every developer that only has an app for the iPad can be searched for on the iPhone, but it won't show up?

That doesn't seem something like Apple would do. It seems like it would get really cluttered, and then begin to slow the search down.

Why don't you think they have separate databases for the iPhone & iPad only apps, and then allow for a developer to be searchable in both if the app is universal?

Do you have any examples of developers that only have iPad apps but show up in the search on an iPhone?

6. StuddedLeather macrumors 6502a

+1

I wish they hurry and release it for us! Maybe their working out the retina display resolution for the app? Hopefully! :mad:

7. darkhunter139 macrumors regular

Its actually not going to be wifi only.

8. extenet macrumors member

They're right, this has been there for a while. Go to the iTunes store on your computer, find an iPad only app with a developer that makes iPhone apps, search it on your phone and you'll see.

9. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

I use up so much bandwidth just with the Netflix app for my iPad. I would love it if they manage to get the iPhone 4 version out soon...

10. California King macrumors 65816

Isn't there currently a simple hack that can make the iPad version work on your iPhone?

11. jason221 macrumors 6502

If I remember correctly, that was patched fairly quickly. Also, it had an almost unreal drain on battery life.

12. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

Have you used the 3rd party application called Phone Flicks listed there ? What do you think of it?

13. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Their name has shown up when you search on the iPhone since the iPad app came out.

14. MisterDisney macrumors 6502a

If the Netflix app for iPhone was wifi only, I could at least stop wishing they'd get it into release..

15. thercanbeonly1 macrumors newbie

thats been there for a long while. But they have released a new method for getting netflix on iphone 4. It works really good. it requires jb iphone 4, ssh, netflix ipad app and a $1.99 browser from app store.

16. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

I thought that Netflix killed that in less than 24 hours after that was created.

17. thercanbeonly1 macrumors newbie

Its a revised version of it, works fine just did it 3 hours ago.

18. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Do you have the link of the site where you learned how to do that?

19. BlondeBuddhist macrumors 6502a

BlondeBuddhist

They will potentially have one more customer in me if they get this app out.

Blonde Buddhist

20. thercanbeonly1 macrumors newbie

Sent you pm with the link. Hope this hack doesn't get to much "publicity" and gets patched like the last exploit. Watching shawshank redemption on netflix on my iPhone 4 as I type this, battery life seems fine.

21. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Thanks. Do you know if the workaround loads 720p video when available? I'm afraid the Netfix iPhone app will only have SD video and nothing optimized for the iPhone 4's Retina Display.

22. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

I thought they explicitly said you can over 3g as well

23. chembox macrumors 6502a

Bumping this because I stumbled across a tweet from the CEO of Mashery.

Roughly two days ago, so it shows that the Netflix app is almost/has been done and coded, and maybe the submission to Apple for approval will be coming soon!

Actually, I'm more than 90% confident that Netflix is waiting to demo their app in the mid-September iPod event, and will release it on that day.

24. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

Can't image what the quality will be like. I'm sure AT&T's going to be pissed, but at least 3G Unrestrictor should improve the video quality?

25. Mr. Chewbacca macrumors 6502a

Mr. Chewbacca

Aughhhh I wish they would just hurry the f##k up and release an iPhone app!! Why were they given so much time during the keynote if they didnt even have the F##ing product in the first place?