Netflix Issue with Dual Graphics Mid 2014 Macbook Pro 15 Inch

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nspells154, Mar 11, 2015.

1. nspells154 macrumors newbie

Hey there, I thought I would ask for some assistance from this forum as I am at my wits end with this problem. I am trying to run Netflix in fullscreen mode on my mid 2014 rmbp with gt 750 and intel iris dual graphics. It used to work just fine, however recently I have been getting some serious problems. Yesterday while watching in fullscreen mode,as soon as the menu tool bar timed out (faded away from the screen because I didn't use my mouse) the entire screen went black and there were rainbow coloured pixels flying around the screen. I tried a PRAM reset which resulted in fixing that problem, however now instead of going black when the tool bar fades away, my screens hue changes to a much darker blue colour, and whites get blown out super saturated and bright.

Now, I have narrowed the culprit down as much as my limited computer knowledge can let me. When auto graphics switching is disabled, I have absolutely no issues at all with netflix in full screen. I even downloaded GFXCARDSTATUS, and using that little app I was able to manually select the gpu that i wanted to use. This is all great that my 750m runs fine, however I am wondering if the Intel Iris graphics card is failing? I ran startup diagnostics by holding the "D" key on startup, and it came back saying no issues. When using GFXCARDSTATUS to manually select the Intel Iris card, my issue returns.

Some help would be greatly appreciated. Please note that this issue does not happen when using any other fullscreen apps, such as VLC player or Photoshop.

Thanks and have a great day!!!

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

If it doesn't happen in any other app....

Then it is almost certainly a netflix coding problem not a lot you can do about that...

3. nspells154 thread starter macrumors newbie

Is there any way to confirm it as a Netflix coding problem? I can't find any others with this same issue?

4. nspells154 thread starter macrumors newbie

NEW TEST INFORMATION!!!

When using a separate account, a blank test account that I created. There are absolutely no problems with netflix, the issue does not exist! What setting could I have changed, or program could I have installed that could be causing my problems?

THanks

5. nspells154 thread starter macrumors newbie

What settings or programs could be causing an issue like this? How do I fix this?

6. Freyqq macrumors 68040

Which browser are you using for netflix? Some use html5 (safari) and others use silverlight (firefox).

7. nspells154 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm using Safari... In my test account that I made, it doesn't have any problems. I can't figure this stupid thing out. :(

8. Freyqq macrumors 68040

What happens if you use chrome? If chrome also screws up, it's a codec problem. If not, it's a safari problem. Both use html5 with netflix.

9. Derived macrumors regular

Derived

I had a similar problem a while back...I use F.Lux, and when it was on, and if the system was using the Intel GPU (mid-2012), Netflix would do the same thing with light/white areas of whatever video was playing...they'd break down to like 8 bit color and get completely blown out. But only when the mouse faded after inactivity. If I kept it moving, it didn't happen. Also, I'm pretty sure the discrete GPU also wouldn't do that. However it fixed itself after a while, figured it was a F.Lux thing.

Interested to see how this goes.

10. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

Strange that f.lux does this for you. I use it as well and I've never experienced any issues with Netflix on my machine. Though maybe it's because I have the model with only the Iris Pro graphics?

11. Derived macrumors regular

Derived

I was confused myself, I've been using it since 2013, so it was strange. It was only for a couple weeks though, it went away after that. Has been perfect since.