Netflix keeps crashing

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by steve-p, Jul 4, 2014.

1. steve-p macrumors 68000

steve-p

It's the first time I've tried to watch something on Netflix since the recent update, and it's busted. It plays for anywhere between two and five minutes, then the app seems to crash and ATV ends up back at the main menu. Anyone else having similar issues?

2. steve-p thread starter macrumors 68000

steve-p

After a bit of investigation, the problem only seems to occur when ATV is connected using wifi. No other devices have any problems with the wifi, download speed is 70 Mbps from the internet, and ATV is only 5 metres from the router, so it's not a range issue either. ATV just seems to be a bit temperamental on wifi I guess. With a wired connection using powerline adapters it's working ok again.

3. betman macrumors regular

Is this something specific to 6.2? Anyone else having problems with Netflix after the recent update?

4. bliggs macrumors regular

bliggs

I have been having the exact same issue since 6.1. Was hoping 6.2 would fix it but that didn't happen. :confused:

5. Regbial macrumors 6502

Regbial

Been having that same problem. Was considering getting an airport extreme to see if it would fix it..

6. 2010mini macrumors 68040

No issues with mine. Running the latest update

7. betman macrumors regular

Is your ATV connected via ethernet or wifi?

8. 2010mini macrumors 68040

Wifi

9. cynics macrumors G4

Does the AppleTV crash or just the Netflix app. You'll see Apples rotating loading thing on the screen for a bit if the AppleTV is crashing.

If not I'd try a soft reset, point the remote the Apple TV and hold Menu + Down until the LED on the ATV flashes rapidly. See if that helps.

You can also try restoring it via iTunes. My Netflix app is working fine, AppleTV 3 with the latest update connect via ethernet.

10. AtomicGrog macrumors regular

There's another thread related to network problems when using home share, suggestion is to fix the IP address... might be worth trying that here also, the crash could be due to a brief network disconnect during a DHCP style handshake.

11. betman macrumors regular

It's only wifi users that have reported issues. Those using a cable (ethernet) connection have not encountered any difficulties after the software "update."

12. steve-p thread starter macrumors 68000

steve-p

It's the Netflix app that crashes, not ATV itself. And since I switched from wifi to ethernet, I've watched many hours of Netflix without a single issue, so the issue was specific to wifi.

13. Felasco Guest

Our Netflix was tossing up errors about once per program. We switched from WiFi to Ethernet, and the problems stopped immediately, haven't seen an error since.

14. JackieInCo macrumors 601

I'm having the same problem with the Ethernet cable attached so wifi is off. Netflix tries to open and then crashes.

Just tried with wifi on and the same thing happens.

15. twintin macrumors 6502

Using two ATV3 with WiFi and latest software and have not encountered any Netflix crashes so far.

16. Jig3n, Jul 22, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2014

Jig3n macrumors member

For me just this morning the netflix app won't even start. I've rebooted, reset, restored several times but nothing fixes it... all the other apps and features like airplay are fine though...

**Update: Thanks Steve p an ethernet connection jump started netflix... now it seems to work with wifi again as well...

17. JackieInCo macrumors 601

Luckily I have a smart tv so I can still use the TVs Netflix app which works perfectly. Just can't use the ATV Netflix app either through wired or wifi. It just won't open.

18. cwerdna macrumors 6502

If you're still experiencing this issue (and assuming the rest of Apple TV works ok), I'd contact Netflix customer support. Even if they can't help you, someone might be able to investigate what's going on with your unit.