Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Netflix has today announced the launch of its "Fast Laughs" feature, available now in the video streaming service's iOS app (via iPhone in Canada).

netflix-fast-laughs.jpg

Fast Laughs offer "a full-screen feed of funny clips from our big comedy catalog including films, series and stand-up from comedians like Kevin Hart and Ali Wong," according to Netflix director of product innovation Patrick Flemming. Netflix says that the mobile-only section will provide up to 100 new curated clips per day.

To access the feature, users will find a new "Fast Laughs" tab in the Netflix app. Clips will auto-play and the feed effectively resembles TikTok with vertical scrolling. The view includes a "LOL" button, which releases a burst of "Face with Tears of Joy" emojis when tapped.

Netflix-app-Fast-Laughs.jpg

Netflix users can customize their Fast Laughs feed by adding series, films, and stand-up specials to their lists. Individual clips from Fast Laughs can also be easily shared via iMessage, WhatsApp, Instagram, Snapchat, Twitter, and more.

Fast Laughs acts as an entry point to begin watching a comedy show immediately, but it also functions as a destination to watch standalone entertaining moments. The Fast Laughs feature is unavailable on Netflix kids' profiles, and users are able to filter displayed content based on their set maturity level.

Fast Laughs is available now for users in English-speaking countries such as the U.S., Canada, UK, Australia, and Ireland. The feature is also expected to come to the Netflix app for Android at some point in the future.

Article Link: Netflix Launches 'Fast Laughs' Feature on iOS for TikTok-Style Comedy Moments

Last edited:

Daniel Poulin

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2020
This had come up on my Netflix a month or two ago, I thought it had already been rolled out. Maybe it just got pushed to me as a beta/trial I guess...

I found the clips in isolation to be not very funny, not really clip-worthy. I only checked it out once or twice, and then ignored it. Netflix is great at creating full-length content, evidently not so great at cutting out short funny bits.

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2009
I just tried it out. I actually like it. I never used the Netflix app on my iPhone much but now will probably open it up more often.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
This seems to be a pretty cool feature.

Agreed.

Netflix content is usually consumed in sit-down, longform (30+ minute) settings. I don't think people typically watch Netflix if they've only got a few minutes waiting somewhere.

But these short clips can be consumed quickly on the go. I can see it being popular.

And if it's simply clips of already-made content... it's easy. The only thing Netflix has to do is to chop them into small clips.

But we all saw what happened with Quibi... where they actually tried to make unique content for mobile. Major fail!

:p

Last edited:

Corsig

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2008
Ok weird I just tried it and it wasn’t bad at all. Liked that it’s not edited or only G rated. Will I use it a lot probably not

Suckfest 9001

Suspended
May 31, 2015
Canada
It makes no sense for Netflix to enter this space. Like don’t even bother anyway, nothing will overtake TikTok. Not even the Vine fellas could pull it off.

Edit: oh never mind this is from shows and stuff. K back to thinking it’s cool lol

kalafalas

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2008
California
I see what Netflix is trying to do with this, and I agree I need more ways to discover new shows but this isn’t it for me. The real answer is finally integrate with the AppleTV app, because right now that’s how I browse and if it’s not in there I probably will never see it, and this isn’t gonna make me come back to going app-by-app again.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Sounds like a great feature for retaining customers. Netflix is basically saying that they already have all the content that they need, they just have the issue that subscribers aren't able to find it. My wife and I periodically go through a few weeks where we've finished our last show and we haven't found our next show yet. The longer we're between shows, the more likely we are to become customer churn and to decide to just stop subscribing to Netflix.

This might decrease our time between series and ensure that we remain active subscribers of Netflix.

orbital~debris

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2004
UK, Europe
This had come up on my Netflix a month or two ago, I thought it had already been rolled out. Maybe it just got pushed to me as a beta/trial I guess...

I found the clips in isolation to be not very funny, not really clip-worthy. I only checked it out once or twice, and then ignored it. Netflix is great at creating full-length content, evidently not so great at cutting out short funny bits.

Yes, I've had it for a couple of months as well. Likewise presumed it was available to everyone…

I did much the same – tried it out (sort of expecting it to be original content from the name) and when I realised it was just clips I pretty much ignored it as my watchlist is long enough without wasting minutes on an out of context 'clipstream'.

I suppose this is targeted at those who haven't the attention span to watch an entire movie?

Talking of clips… maybe Netflix will resurrect the mid-season 'clip show' (it was always groan-worthy when you realised you weren't getting a proper story in the episode of your favourite show that week).

dannyyankou

macrumors G4
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
I hate the trend of short form content like TikTok and instrgram stories, but I think this is a better use for it. Like if you’re following Seinfeld (when they finally come to Netflix lol), they can post an episode highlight everyday or something like that.

Reactions: Michael Scrip

Pakaku

macrumors 68030
Aug 29, 2009
Eeesh, they really could have picked a better show than Big Mouth to promote this...

Blowback

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2018
VA

Netflix has today announced the launch of its "Fast Laughs" feature, available now in the video streaming service's iOS app (via iPhone in Canada).

netflix-fast-laughs.jpg

Fast Laughs offer "a full-screen feed of funny clips from our big comedy catalog including films, series and stand-up from comedians like Kevin Hart and Ali Wong," according to Netflix director of product innovation Patrick Flemming. Netflix says that the mobile-only section will provide up to 100 new curated clips per day.

To access the feature, users will find a new "Fast Laughs" tab in the Netflix app. Clips will auto-play and the feed effectively resembles TikTok with vertical scrolling. The view includes a "LOL" button, which releases a burst of "Face with Tears of Joy" emojis when tapped.

netflix-fast-laughs-2.jpg

Netflix users can customize their Fast Laughs feed by adding series, films, and stand-up specials to their lists. Individual clips from Fast Laughs can also be easily shared via iMessage, WhatsApp, Instagram, Snapchat, Twitter, and more.

Fast Laughs acts as an entry point to begin watching a comedy show immediately, but it also functions as a destination to watch standalone entertaining moments. The Fast Laughs feature is unavailable on Netflix kids' profiles, and users are able to filter displayed content based on their set maturity level.

Fast Laughs is available now for users in English-speaking countries such as the U.S., Canada, UK, Australia, and Ireland. The feature is also expected to come to the Netflix app for Android at some point in the future.

Article Link: Netflix Launches 'Fast Laughs' Feature on iOS for TikTok-Style Comedy Moments
Iphone 11Pro with current system..I don't see this tab. Does the Netflix app have to be re-loaded or is this a beta???

BuffaloTF

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2008
Ahh... maybe they can place one in the margin on the left so I can watch something while trying to find where they decided to hide my "My Stuff" and "Resume Playing" lines today. Each time I scroll down it can feed me a new video.

MacBH928

macrumors 604
May 17, 2008
With such short attention span, society is literally turning into that Idiocracy movie. Save yourself and children.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.