Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Netflix today released a Netflix Game Controller app, which is designed to allow users to play Netflix games on their TV sets. The App Store description says the Game Controller app will pair with a TV for playing Netflix games using an iPhone.

Netflix-Smaller-2.jpg

As of right now, Netflix games are limited to the iPhone and iPad, with no option to play them on the Apple TV or other TV platforms. The app doesn't do anything right now, but it says that games available for the TV will be "coming soon to Netflix."

The app features a directional button on the left side of the iPhone's display, along with A, X, Y, and B action buttons on the right side of the display.

Netflix first began offering games in 2021, and there are now more than 50 titles available. Access is included in the Netflix membership, with no additional fees or in-app purchases. Some of Netflix's games include Tomb Raider, Stranger Things, Bloons TD 6, World of Goo, Exploding Kittens, Heads Up, and Cut the Rope.

Last October, Netflix game development VP Mike Verdu said that the company was "very seriously exploring a cloud gaming offering," and it could be that Netflix is ready to launch a gaming service that would make its content playable on TV sets.

Article Link: Netflix Launches New Controller App for iPhone in Preparation for TV Game Expansion

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
I guess it'll work if you're desperate and have nothing else to use, or are desperate enough to play Netflix games?
Judging their games when you probably haven't even looked into what games they have to offer, am I right?

TMNT: Shredder's Revenge is good. Has that retro / SNES feel to it.

Last edited:

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
Wonder how a Netflix gaming service bodes for something like Arcade. Admittedly, gaming is not my forté.

My household is not a gaming one (I know, a complete anomaly for a 2-kids-under-13 house in 2023) - making us THE target for Arcade. And we barely use Arcade. Alto's Adventure, Sasquatch and Mini Motorways are the three that see any action. And, again, that action is very rare (mostly when the kids have guests over and want to do some sort of on-screne game-like activity). Which makes me wonder... What is Apple's end-goal with Arcade? Is it just to add perceived value to Apple One? Also curious how/if Arcade will carry over to visionOS. Maybe there will be a vOS section of Arcade?

Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
Judging their games when you probably haven't even looked into what games they have to offer, am I right?

TMNT: Shredder's Revenge is good. Has that retro / SNES feel to it.

Unless any of those are exclusive to Netflix, I’d much rather go the non-subscription route, like Steam or GOG. Apple Arcade and Netflix make zero sense to me.

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Yeah, quite a lot of people. More than Apple and Disney combined in fact.
Are you including ESPN+ and Hulu, or excluding them because if you include them (and why would you exclude them when Disney owns them and they'll be combined into one app by years end)...

Disney+ = 157.8 million
ESPN+ = 25.3 million
Hulu = 48.2 million
Apple TV+ = 25 million
TOTAL = 256.3 million

Netflix = 238.39 million

Disney reports earnings tomorrow, so we'll have more up-to-date numbers than what Disney reported as of April 1, 2023.

maxoakland

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2021
I guess it'll work if you're desperate and have nothing else to use, or are desperate enough to play Netflix games?
Netflix has some really good games. Poinpy and Shovel Knight Pocket Dungeon are the only two I tried and I found them addictive and fun. I played both of them to death

amartinez1660

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2014
Unless any of those are exclusive to Netflix, I’d much rather go the non-subscription route, like Steam or GOG. Apple Arcade and Netflix make zero sense to me.
The idea is that they are already there included. If you have been paying a Netflix subscription for the last couple of years you have had a quite interesting catalog of games… they even had Into The Breach last time I checked.

I think, as of now, is like a “nice to have bonus”, definitely don’t think that people would subscribe for the games themselves.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.