Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Netflix today quietly eliminated its most affordable ad-free plan in the United States and the United Kingdom, raising the price of ad-free streaming options.

Netflix-Smaller-4.jpg

In the U.S., the Basic plan was priced at $9.99 per month, and with its removal, ad-free streaming now starts at $15.49 per month. Netflix subscribers can opt for the $6.99 per month "Standard with ads" plan, but that price point includes advertisements.

New customers who want an ad-free streaming experience will now need to pay $5.50 more without the Basic plan. As noted by Cord Busters, this shift will put more focus on Netflix's ad-supported plan, and it is a move that the company already tested in Canada starting last month.

After saying for years that it had no plans to introduce ads, Netflix debuted an ad-supported tier in late 2022. Netflix opted into ads after losing subscribers for the first time in 10 years in early 2022. That led Netflix to debut a cheaper ad-supported tier and to crack down on multi-household password sharing.

The ad-supported tier shows between four and five minutes of ads per hour, with ads that vary in length from 15 to 30 seconds. Ads play before and during TV shows and movies.

Existing Netflix customers who had already signed up for the $9.99 Basic plan can keep their plans for now, with the change limited to new or rejoining members. Netflix says customers can remain on the Basic plan until they change plans or cancel their accounts.

The $6.99 per month (U.S.) Standard with ads plan offers "all but a few movies and TV shows" and allows customers to watch on two supported devices in full HD, which is 1080p. It does not include offline downloads.

The $15.49 Standard plan includes all TV shows and movies, supports streaming on two devices at a time, and also offers 1080p streaming quality. Content can be downloaded for offline viewing on two supported devices, and there is an option to pay an additional $7.99 to add a person outside the household to the plan.

Netflix's $19.99 per month Premium tier offers support for streaming on four devices at one time (in the same household), and it is the only plan that provides 4K content. Netflix continues to be the one of the few streaming companies that charge extra for higher streaming quality.

The Premium plan also includes downloads on six devices, Netflix spatial audio, and the option to add two extra non-household members to a plan for $7.99 per month each.

Article Link: Netflix Nixes Cheapest $9.99 Plan in U.S., Ad-Free Streaming Now Starts at $15.49 Per Month

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎

morphineseason

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2007
They can't just leave their plans alone, can they? I recently signed up for the $9.99 plan, but I'm sure they'll find a way to weasel their way into a price increase. Same reason I dropped them years ago. Keep raising prices, while the quality of the content goes down.

I tried the ad-supported plan for a bit, but it was just such a chore to watch anything. Ads definitely seemed to run more than the 4min total they estimated, and it'd constantly go to an ad break right in the middle of a scene. I stream TV and have Hulu w/ads, so I'm used to commercials, but their approach is obnoxious and still needs a lot of work.

GDF

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2010
It'd be worth it if the content Netflix was offering was as good as it was before. Now HBO is my primary entertainment.
Unfortunately, I think HBO is worse now that it is Max. I don’t find any content that HBO is adding that is as good as before or as much. Will be canceling Max when my subscription runs out.

All these services are getting so greedy. Writers/Actors strike will really hurt them too if the strike goes on a long time, then what will people pay for? I have no desire to go back and watch repeats.

brunerd

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2009
Chicago
Rejoined last week just to watch Is It Cake with the fam for a month and there was no $9.99 Basic option, just the ad supported, Standard ad-free (1080p max), or Premium (4K, HDR). Went with Standard with 1080p (non-HDR) and guess what? I can't really tell the difference on my 55" 4K Samsung, looks dang good to me! 🤷‍♂️

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.