Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Netflix subscribers who still pay their monthly fees through the App Store in-app purchase system will soon need to add a new payment method to keep their accounts active, Netflix is telling customers.

Netflix-Smaller-2.jpg

Though Netflix stopped allowing customers to subscribe to its streaming service on iOS devices way back in 2018, it has allowed customers that were already subscribed that way to continue using in-app purchase to pay. Payment through Apple's platform is set to stop, however, because Netflix does not want to continue to pay Apple a 15 percent cut of those subscription fees.

As noted by 9to5Mac, the U.S. Netflix support site now says that customers in "some" countries will need to add a new payment method. It isn't clear which countries the new Netflix policy is applicable to, but given that it was added to the U.S. site, it likely applies to customers in the United States.
Some Apple-billed members in select countries may be prompted to add a new payment method to continue their subscription.
There is no word on how many Netflix subscribers are still paying through in-app purchase since it's been nearly six years since Netflix removed the option. Since 2018, Netflix has required customers who have Apple devices to sign up for a new Netflix subscription on the Netflix website. There is no option to subscribe through the Netflix app on the iPhone or iPad, and these devices open to a sign-in screen.

When Netflix first removed the option to pay through the App Store, it said customers who paid for subscriptions with in-app purchases could continue to use that billing method until their accounts were canceled, but Netflix seems to have run out of patience.

Update: Netflix has clarified that the changes affect basic plan members in some countries including the US and Canada, and it does not impact all Netflix users.

Article Link: Netflix No Longer Allowing Subscribers to Pay Through Apple's App Store

Last edited:
Reactions: macfacts

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Based on past Netflix threads, I'm thinking every outraged Apple person has quit Netflix 6 or 7 times in the last 12-18 months or so... so I presume this affects no one. ;)

However, that said, can you blame them? Pay direct and keep 15%. Facilitate another kind of payment and lose 15% "right off the top." If roles were reversed, what would Apple Inc. do?

Last edited:

btrach144

macrumors demi-god
Aug 28, 2015
Indiana
Cancelled Netflix 6 months ago and haven’t looked back. Their refusal to work with the Apple ecosystem such as AppleTv app integration or Vision Pro app and now this, has left a bad taste in my mouth.

Not to mention their content is subpar now and their price increases were not justifiable.

lkrupp

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2004
Add this to the growing list of customer unfriendly actions in the works everywhere. When regulators open up NFC the Wallet app will become useless. Every credit card company and every bank will pull out of the Wallet and require its own app to make a payment. Want to pay with your Chase Visa credit card?. You’ll need to use Chase’s app. Want to pay with your bank debit card? You’ll need to use your bank’s app. Want pay with your GM Mastercard? Pay with the GM Mastercard app. The era of one Wallet to keep all your cards in is coming an end. Just like Netflix is doing other streaming platforms will require you visit their website to pay. All this to keep as much profit in their own hands as possible.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Netflix subscribers who still pay their monthly fees through the App Store in-app purchase system will soon need to add a new payment method to keep their accounts active, Netflix is telling customers. Though Netflix stopped allowing customers to subscribe to its streaming service on iOS devices way back in 2018, it has allowed customers that were already subscribed that way to continue using in-app purchase to pay. Payment through Apple's platform is set to stop, however, because Netflix does not want to continue to pay Apple a 15 percent cut of those subscription fees.
Is this really news? Some cellular providers give some level of Netflix subscriptions away free.

easy4lif

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2005
Southbay CA
I no longer have Netflix and will probably only subscribe a month or two when Stranger Things shows up but judging for the several price hikes there are plenty of people that don't mind throwing them money.
I’m sure when stranger things final season finally drops, Netflix will make new subscribers sign up for a mandatory 6 month sub just to make people stick on the service.

easy4lif

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2005
Southbay CA
Add this to the growing list of customer unfriendly actions in the works everywhere. When regulators open up NFC the Wallet app will become useless. Every credit card company and every bank will pull out of the Wallet and require its own app to make a payment. Want to pay with your Chase Visa credit card?. You’ll need to use Chase’s app. Want to pay with your bank debit card? You’ll need to use your bank’s app. Want pay with your GM Mastercard? Pay with the GM Mastercard app. The era of one Wallet to keep all your cards in is coming an end. Just like Netflix is doing other streaming platforms will require you visit their website to pay. All this to keep as much profit in their own hands as possible.
I completely agreed with this

tornadowrangler

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2020
I haven't been a subscriber for a long time, but GOOD ON THEM!

I don't see why Apple deserves any percent of a Netflix subscription, or any streaming platform's subscription. I make a point to sign-up on the web for all my streaming apps.

It would make more sense to me, maybe, if they paid Apple a one-time customer finders-fee on someone who signs up for a subscription on an iPhone, but not a monthly commission. Apple isn't doing anything monthly to retain the customers.

If I were Netflix, I would completely remove the app and just go webapp for the iPhone.

No need to argue. That's just my opinion. Not trying to change yours!

falainber

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2016
Wild West
Cancelled Netflix 6 months ago and haven’t looked back. Their refusal to work with the Apple ecosystem such as AppleTv app integration or Vision Pro app and now this, has left a bad taste in my mouth.

Not to mention their content is subpar now and their price increases were not justifiable.
Why? Are you Apple Corporation? If not, why do you care about "their refusal to work with the Apple ecosystem"? BTW, is it their refusal or Apple refusal? If Apple dropped 15% fee (for doing nothing), I am pretty sure Netflix would be fine with accepting the payments through the App Store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.