Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sofila

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2006
Ramtop Mountains

Exxhara

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2017
Cable Girls is brilliant. Check it out! I recommended it to you a year ago. Siempre Bruja isn't bad either. I can't help but wonder if it's a remake of something I've seen before.

I can attest to this. I love their spanish shows too. If you havent yet, check out La Piloto too. I think i've watched Piloto like 20+ times it's that good. Does anyone have recommendations for any other good spanish dramas on Netflix??

Reactions: 0388631 and LizKat

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
Yes a long list. But my daughters have all grown up. We, as a family, are no longer interested in this kind of content. Therefore we look for other suppliers. Just to say there’s still room for other services. Obviously Apple and Disney will have tons of customers. Good for them
I didn’t realize how many Touchstone movies were on my favorites list - and I haven’t been able to find them streaming anywhere. I could watch those for a good long while before even getting into my other favs.

I might be 50, but love me some Escape From Witch Mountain! Lol

kmj2318

macrumors 68000
Aug 22, 2007
Naples, FL
They should be. I regularly cancel Netflix. I just canceled Netflix to subscribe to HBO. I'll cancel it when GoT is over. I never need to be subscribed to multiple services. The ease of cancelling any month is going to hurt Netflix. I bet yearly contracts that are so common with cable come to streaming eventually.

EchoplexSE

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2018
Somewhere in a sea of Blue
I rarely use Netflix these days unless I know something that I want to watch is on there and I can launch it directly through the TV app since browsing their TV app is such garbage with the autoplaying previews.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Does anyone have recommendations for any other good spanish dramas on Netflix??

The Time In Between was wonderful. A seamstress turned high couture dressmaker caught up in the Spanish civil war, partly set in Madrid and partly in Morocco. Original title was El tiempo entre costuras (The Time in Between Stitches)... it's two seasons, 2013-14. I remember one or two episodes with a few scenes that dragged due to temporary focus on lesser characters, but I'm glad I stuck with it, the series was great.

Autoplaying trailers

Yah why does Netflix do that. Their presentation format needs yet another rethink. Before their last format revision, they didn't even offer trailers, and clicking on something in hopes of finding out more about it just started play of the feature... but now you can't scroll down through their offerings or even your own watchlist without triggering trailer play if your cursor happens to hover over something for a couple nanoseconds.

It's not enough to make me cancel my sub but it's annoying. It doesn't even make sense, because in the detail info they have even put tabs to let us look at the overview, episodes, etc... so why not let us view the trailers from there, if and when we want to. There must be a happy medium somewhere. Time for their website designers to come up with some new proposals.

twolf2919

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2014
As others have already suggested, NFLX probably doesn't have much to worry about with respect to Apple, but Disney is another story altogether. I don' know about you guys, but I already subscribe to both Amazon Prime and Netflix - I didn't really get the former intentionally - it's just a side benefit of wanting the free 2-day shipping. I've had NFLX since its beginnings (and despite its ever more annoying Apple TV app, and ever shrinking search/filter capabilities), but many of the movies we watch are on both services. So when they raised prices again recently, I was already tempted to cancel. Literally the only thing that kept me was that I signed up with T-Mobile which now 'subsidizes' my subscription. When Disney+ comes out or when I leave T-Mobile (great price, svcs - but really lousy reception!), I'll probably cancel NFLX.

Classie

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2018
Sweden
Well... I can’t resist Disney’s service (can anyone with kids!?) and Apple TV+ Will most likely be good... for me that’s about enough - Netflix will have to go.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Netflix has nothing to worry about with garbage like Planet of the Apps and Carpool Karaoke.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Someone on another site commented that Disney doesn't have much rated R or mature content so to think they'll come in and dominate the market with G rated content is absurd. I totally agree with them.
[doublepost=1555457795][/doublepost]
I agree, Netflix is a household name, to think everyone will abandon them because Disney and Apple TV+ doesn't really make sense. Plus as I commented above Disney will be mostly G content. I like horror, violence and so forth in my movies Disney doesn't offer that and I'm sure Apple TV+ won't either
There are more parents and children who want content like this than don't and are willing to pay out for it. As I get older I just don't really want to watch R rated movies any more. They're usually just full of unnecessary cursing that does nothing to advance a plot, crude jokes that are nothing new and have been recycled for decades, and gratuitous violence that I tire of watching because it's so draining. More often than not I just feel like a pile of garbage after watching an R rated movie because it's so demoralizing and dark. It takes a lot more to get an R rating nowadays. PG-13 has more than enough violence for me and I think that a lot of people with young children agree and would rather spend their hard earned money on something like Disney+ than Netflix. I don't think Netflix is going anywhere anytime soon, but the streaming market is getting a lot more crowded and people are going to start making harder choices—especially since Netflix will be losing the Disney owned content that their family already enjoys.

NufSaid

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2015
ÜT: 41.065573,-83.668801
Oh, please.

Oh, please, comparing carrots to apples..Blockbuster vs Netflix are two totally different user experiences compared to Netflix vs ATV+ or Disney +
In a first you have going out, looking for a material product to rent and take back home, shove it in your player, watch, and after all that take it back and go home again. But in this case you just choose from two different apps on your screen, 1 inch away from each other, where you want to stream some generic TV show in a background, while scrolling through your phone or washing dishes.

Except one thing that is similar - brushing off the competition. They know how much the Disney videos they have now get watched. I have no compelling reason to continue Netflix and with the Disney option better overall for the families interest it is an easy switch.

I would be LIVID as a shareholder if the CEO of my company said this. However, Apple....maybe you can brush that one off :D

Marshall73

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2015
Unless Apple and Disney offer non family friendly shows then Netflix will thrive. With Millerworld context inbound and having created shows like Daredevil and Punisher which would never exist on Disney or Apple Netflix are more than safe.

NufSaid

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2015
ÜT: 41.065573,-83.668801
There are more parents and children who want content like this than don't and are willing to pay out for it. As I get older I just don't really want to watch R rated movies any more. They're usually just full of unnecessary cursing that does nothing to advance a plot, crude jokes that are nothing new and have been recycled for decades, and gratuitous violence that I tire of watching because it's so draining. More often than not I just feel like a pile of garbage after watching an R rated movie because it's so demoralizing and dark. It takes a lot more to get an R rating nowadays. PG-13 has more than enough violence for me and I think that a lot of people with young children agree and would rather spend their hard earned money on something like Disney+ than Netflix. I don't think Netflix is going anywhere anytime soon, but the streaming market is getting a lot more crowded and people are going to start making harder choices—especially since Netflix will be losing the Disney owned content that their family already enjoys.

Could not agree more. The one advantage of Netflix is they allow all their content on vidangel, which allows you to filter out anything you want. I always whack the cursing - does nothing for the movie.

If you haven’t seen vidangel - you should check out their service - it does require the other subscriptions to work.

Reactions: macduke

jwdsail

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
I wouldn't say that they should be concerned about Disney+ and AppleTV+, but they should start to be concerned about the streaming landscape as a whole?

Netflix should start to be concerned that as they continue to hike prices, and lose shows many of their customers enjoy, that they will become very much like HBO and Starz for many people. A service to have active when customers know that there's something new they want to watch.

After we're done watching the new season of Stranger Things and the final season of Jessica Jones, we'll probably be canceling our Netflix subscription. Just like we'll be canceling our Starz subscription after this season of American Gods concludes.

I can see Disney+ and Netflix being used by my family very much like Starz and HBO moving forward. Not a subscription that runs and runs forever, but something that is used for a month or so at a time.

And, if other customers start to do the same, Netflix should be very concerned. It's not that customers will choose one service over the other, it's that each will be seen as a luxury to get for a couple of months here and there, each sharing smaller pieces of the same pie than they had before.

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
Netflix will grow, but with additional entrants, their growth will slow. Even if the market expands, there is only so much consumer money out there. They are right though, the benefits will accrue to the customers.

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
Disney owns the rights to Marvel, and Disney is pulling all their content off Netflix by the end of this year.

It doesn't make financial sense for Netflix to pour money into developing Disney owned properties. It's better for Netflix to spend money on content they get to own and control. That's why Netflix cancelled the Marvel shows.

Besides, of the Marvel shows, only Daredevil made the top 10 streamed shows on Netflix. It was #7

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/excl...shows-investors-shouldnt-worry-131128546.html

As much as I've enjoyed most of the Marvel shows, they weren't what was attracting and bringing in the subscribers. It was the Netflix original non-Marvel shows.

EtaYDv2.png

uGH6Idx.png

That last chart speaks volumes.

While the non-Marvel programming may not be a significant chunk of Netflix streaming, what is being streamed is mostly owned by third parties and that's trouble for Netflix.

1) Comcast will pull The Office back for their streaming service.
2) Sabrina is owned by ATT, and can be pulled back after their licensing deal ends.
3) Friends is owned by ATT and cost Netflix $100MM to license for only one year. ATT will likely pull it back for their streaming service.
4) Grey's Anatomy is owned by Disney and likely to be pulled back.
5) House of Cards is done, and catalogue only, possibly tainted by the Kevin Spacey scandal.
6) Don't know who owns this
7) Marvel is Disney and gone.
8) New this season
9) Don't know who owns this
10) Criminal Minds is CBS and likely to be pulled for CBS All Access after the licensing deal expires.

That's pretty bad.

Reactions: actripxl

Smearbrick

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2013
Central PA
Blockbuster not concerned about Redbox.

Nice knowing ya Netflix.

Not even the same thing. Besides, Redbox didn’t bring down Blockbuster.

Netflix has enough excellent original content to weather competition from Disney. I doubt Apple will even be a blip on their radar. Their insistence on only green lighting family friendly entertainment is really going to give Netflix an edge. Not that family friendly entertainment is a bad thing (Stranger Things), it’s not necessarily for everyone.

cjducasse

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2016
Illinois
yeah, they need to exude confidence for their investors. Their bottom line is riddled with debt because they can't cashflow their own original content. Even their premium price plan isn't enough to cover the cost of original content and all the licensing they have to pay for. They're a house of cards.

TsMkLg068426

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2009
The language isn't very clear. That's my point. It says "support for up to" and I suspect their pricing will vary between plans as the service comes online. It would take longer than 5 years to break even at $7/month. The subscriber count is an estimate by their CFO, not their bean counters. Even a variation of 30M subscribers is huge. It's a $210M difference each month presuming those 30M subscribers go on a monthly plan.

As I said, Disney may start out with a $7/month plan, but they'll likely offer higher plans. It makes little sense to invest in all the tech and operate at a massive loss on the off chance you might break even in a few years. The language is purposefully vague and is not unlike the language an ISP uses or what any stream service offers.

I'd be stunned if Disney offered 4K HDR or UHD with Dolby Atmos sound for all of their newer films with 3-4 screens for $7/month for several years. This is Disney. The company that nickel and dimes consumers because they know they'll pay for their stuff.

I'd prefer data over overtly simplified English in an investor's news article.
[doublepost=1555473406][/doublepost]
Disney owns the IP. Netflix paid Disney for the streaming and production rights. Disney got to decide what Netflix could and couldn't do.

Correct Disney decided that it is up to Netflix if they want to continue MCU series that they have 2 more years left until the characters revert back to Disney. Disney owns the IP but the decision of cancelling of all MCU series was on Netflix end not Disney. Disney was very chill when it came to Netflix MCU contract but when it came down to Netflix cutting down how many episodes to save cost Disney disagreed for the idea and probably it went against the contract that was agreed to so Netflix decided best to end all of MCU series sadly with unexpected final episodes that some got were like mid-closures.
[doublepost=1555531692][/doublepost]
Competition is always good

It is but not the way Disney is taking over things my worries are mostly towards R-rated content or R-rated MCU as much as Disney has Miramax, Hulu or FX for MA or R-rated content not sure if Disney is up to it even for MCU at this moment they are staying away from all that. As for Apple+ great if you are looking for only ORIGINAL series dedicated for families and kids also the app being limited again to newer model TVs and only Apple product so where is the competition really?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.