Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I noticed this last weekend, and confirmed it this weekend.

I sometimes use my ATV4 with a 720p projector. Before, I'd get a flawless video stream from Netflix regardless of whether the ATV was outputting 720p or 1080p. Now when the ATV4 is outputting 720p, I get a low bitrate stream full of blocking artifacts. Ugh.

I solved it for the moment by forcing the ATV4 to output 1080p60, but my projector's downscaler doesn't produce as high quality an image as when fed a native 720p signal. Granted, it's better than the ugly low bit rate stream, but I'd much rather just feed the projector native 720p.

Anyone know of possible workarounds for this?

Michelasso

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2012
Treviso, Italy
I solved it for the moment by forcing the ATV4 to output 1080p60, but my projector's downscaler doesn't produce as high quality an image as when fed a native 720p signal. Granted, it's better than the ugly low bit rate stream, but I'd much rather just feed the projector native 720p.

That's bizarre because downscaling a higher resolution image is an antialiasing technique (Supersampling). The image when streaming at 1080p with a 720p display should actually look better than a 720p stream. Not to mention that it also has a higher bitrate.

Still be aware that Netflix uses a dynamic bitrate. It may start low and then raise to the max bitrate (for that resolution) in some cases even after a minute, depending on many factors (but mostly network and CPU speed). Maybe try to reboot the ATV and the router.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.