Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Netflix today announced that it is expanding the games that it offers to select TVs, PCs, and Macs as part of a test that is being conducted in Canada and the UK.

netflix-games-pc-mac.jpg

A limited number of Netflix customers in these countries can visit Netflix.com on supported browsers on a PC or Mac to play two Netflix test games, including Oxenfree and Molehew's Mining Adventure. The games can be played with a standard keyboard and mouse.

As for TVs, Netflix says that games can be played through Amazon TV Streaming Media Players, Chromecast with Google TV, LG TVs, Nvidia Shield TV, Roku devices and TVs, Samsung Smart TVs and Walmart ONN. At the current time, Netflix's games are not available on the Apple TV, but Netflix says additional devices will be added "on an ongoing basis."

TV games can be played with the Netflix Game Controller app, which is available for iPhones and Android devices. The app was released last week and is designed to pair a smartphone with a TV for playing Netflix games.

Netflix has offered mobile games since 2021, and there are now more than 50 titles available, but prior to now, the games could only be played on a smartphone or tablet. Access to games is included in a Netflix membership, with no additional fees or in-app purchases.

During the beta testing period, Netflix will be working on its game streaming technology and controller, aiming to improve the experience over time. The company says that by expanding games to more devices, it hopes to "make games even easier to play" for Netflix subscribers worldwide.

Article Link: Netflix Now Testing Games on TVs, Macs and PCs

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
related

Netflix is kicking off the first public tests of its cloud-streamed games. Beginning Monday, some Netflix subscribers in Canada and the UK will be able to check out Netflix games streamed to select TVs, connected TV devices, and on the web from Netflix.com.
In a blog post, Netflix VP of games Mike Verdu characterized this as a “limited beta test” to a “small number of members,” so not all subscribers in Canada and the UK will have it right away. But even though this initial launch is small, it marks a potentially huge moment for Netflix’s gaming ambitions.

Here are the TVs and connected TV devices that will support Netflix’s games for now:
  • Amazon Fire TV streaming media players
  • Chromecast with Google TV
  • LG TVs
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Roku devices and TVs
  • Samsung Smart TVs
  • Walmart Onn
Even if there are some hiccups, I bet Netflix is okay with that; it’s clearly starting small to give itself room to iron out any initial issues. And since Netflix views cloud gaming as a “value add,” which is closer to Microsoft’s approach than Google’s failed strategy for Stadia, I’d bet it doesn’t need cloud gaming to work perfectly from the jump. Netflix subscribers can always fall back on any of its 70 mobile games if they want.
Even if they are barely starting this it just reminds us that Apple Arcade are still not supporting cloud streamed video games. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎

marcushe

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2017
I think all Apple needs to do is make a unique Apple game controller for AppleTV and purchase a big game company like EA sports, but that's just me. A controller would define the AppleTV as a gaming system. I know you can use third party ones, but third party ones are not the same as having a marketed unique dedicated controller. Here is Apple's former controller from the Pippin system.

Bandai-Apple-Pippin-Applejack-Controller-FR.jpg

Last edited:

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Games on Netflix just feel wrong but it might be a worthy Apple Arcade competitor.
You might want to peruse this article from July 2023.

From speaking with developers at Ripstone and Night School, there’s a sense that Netflix, two years into this endeavor, is still in the midst of figuring out if gaming is the value add it needs to give it an edge over the Paramount Pluses and Hulus of the world.
And for now, the streamer’s partner studios are content to help Netflix figure it out.
“They’re very honest with themselves and with us about this, not knowing what the best course of action is yet,” Hines said. “They just really want to put some stuff out there and see how fans and their audience respond and make adjustments based on that.

cthompson94

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2022
SoCal
I just don't see the gaming from Netflix becoming big, I am sure people play them or otherwise I doubt that they would be continuing (I would hope) it just seems like a waste when those funds and hours could go to more content instead of ending seasons at 3 or 4.

blazerunner

Suspended
Nov 16, 2020
Curious to see how this is implemented. I thought Apple's app store rules prevented game streaming. That might explain why Macs are supported in this initial rollout, but not iPhone, iPad, or Apple TV hardware.
It's a good thing Apple blocks these options from us consumers, they really care what's best for us.

Right?

rjp1

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2015
Curious to see how this is implemented. I thought Apple's app store rules prevented game streaming. That might explain why Macs are supported in this initial rollout, but not iPhone, iPad, or Apple TV hardware.
Probably busy arguing about having to list every game individually like they tried to get Microsoft to do.

firsttube

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2004
Call me crazy but the idea of a cloud-based game, and another device wirelessly connected relying on software for touch input (with the occasional system hiccup that might slow the software and/or connection down) sounds like a bad experience. Or maybe limit the style of games so latency is less of an issue? Hmm.

doolar

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2019
I thought my family would be in instant uproar when I cancelled our Netflix sub about a year ago. It took weeks after the last day of access before they even noticed. It’s not been renewed since. 😊

• Love
Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎

Madmic23

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2004
Because of Apple's rules, you won't be able to stream these in the Netflix app, but you can in a browser. I streamed Google Stadia games to the Safari browser on my iPhone and iPad just fine.

It really doesn't make sense to me that game streaming apps are blocked in the first place. You're just streaming a video of the gameplay, it just so happens that the gameplay is controlled by you sending commands back to the servers streaming the game.

It makes even less sense to me that the choose your own adventure type shows on Netflix are also blocked on Apple devices, but they classify those as streaming games too.

TVreporter

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2012
Near Toronto
Logged into my account using my iMac … not showing.

The new games are showing on the mobile version.

Last edited:

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2002
Apple’s App Store rules don’t prevent game streaming as game streaming doesn’t even require an App Store, the Safari browser built in to iOS can stream games. Apple even made changes to Safari to help Microsoft’s effort.

Now, if these games don’t stream to iOS devices, that has everything to do with Netflix’s choices and not Apple’s.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.