Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Netflix earlier this year confirmed plans to get into mobile gaming, and now the company is testing its gaming experience with Netflix users in Poland.

netflix-mobile-games-stranger-things.jpg

Netflix's Polish Twitter account today tweeted that the Android Netflix app in Poland is offering access to "Stranger Things 1984" and "Stranger Things 3," two mobile game options.

According to NetflixGeeked, the games are included with a Netflix membership and feature no ads or in-app purchases, similar to how Apple Arcade works. The games are downloaded directly to a mobile device from Netflix and are not streamed from the Netflix app.

As noted by CNET, the games that are being offered have been available for a few years outside of the Netflix app and were created in partnership with Netflix for the second and third seasons of "Stranger Things."

Back in July, Netflix said that it considered gaming to be another new content category, similar to its expansion into original films, animation, and unscripted television.

With its expansion into mobile gaming, Netflix will compete directly with Apple Arcade, Apple's $4.99 per month gaming service that allows users to access hundreds of ad-free games on the iPhone, iPad, Mac, and Apple TV.

Given that the two games Netflix is experimenting with are already existing titles, we may need to wait for some time to see where Netflix plans to take its mobile gaming feature in the future.

Article Link: Netflix Now Testing Integrated Mobile Games in Poland

britboyj

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2009
If this is available in the iOS version, and Netflix isn't removed, Apple loses all of its legs to stand on. More than they already have with Roblox anyway.

mw360

macrumors 68000
Aug 15, 2010
If this is available in the iOS version, and Netflix isn't removed, Apple loses all of its legs to stand on. More than they already have with Roblox anyway.
What exactly is the problem? The image at the top of the article pretty clearly shows that the user is redirected to the Google Play store to install the app.

britboyj

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2009
Apple already allows it in Roblox. You just need to call it an "Experience" instead of a game.

That's my point, and I don't think a court will see that distinction. Epic made this point in trial. It's an app store within an app store, and largely gets a pass for the simple reason that it funnels an epic ton of money via IAP.

What exactly is the problem? The image at the top of the article pretty clearly shows that the user is redirected to the Google Play store to install the app.

Because Apple expressly forbids "apps stores within the app store" which this would be should it makes its way to iOS.

mw360

macrumors 68000
Aug 15, 2010
Because Apple expressly forbids "apps stores within the app store" which this would be should it makes its way to iOS.
But as I already said, the picture at the top of the article shows that the user is directed to Google Play to install the app, therefore on iOS they’d be installed via the App Store.

MacBH928

macrumors 604
May 17, 2008
It’s a tough job being Apple nowadays. Everyone wants a scoop of their ice cream 🍨.

Not really
they are kind of like in last place when it comes to:
-SmartSpeakers
-VideoGames
-Streaming service
-Digital/Smart assistant
-I do not know where the Apple TV stand between Rokus, FireSticks, Chrome boxes

Software:-
-I think hardly anyone use Pages and Numbers
-I have no idea if Photos app, GarageBand, iMovies are as popular as they were mid 2000's
-Safari is like the least capable browser between FireFox, Brave, Chrome, and Edge.
-I think Final Cut Pro is no longer a main video editing software for Pros which seem to prefer AVID and Premiere but idk.
-I am pretty confident that Keychain password manager is the worst compared to: 1password, EnPass, Bitwarden, even Strongbox I must say

Reactions: 1Peace

SurferPup

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2011
Sunshine Coast, 🇦🇺 Australia
Maybe Netflix will create a game based on their TV shows: Queer Eye For The Crown'. Where the Fab 5 makeover royal's bedrooms, bathrooms and kitchens. The game's introduction music will be a remix, 'My husband and I sanction this fabulous royal refurb and things just get keeping better.'

h3ysw5nkan

macrumors 68000
Aug 17, 2016
Not really
they are kind of like in last place when it comes to:
-SmartSpeakers
-VideoGames
-Streaming service
-Digital/Smart assistant
-I do not know where the Apple TV stand between Rokus, FireSticks, Chrome boxes

Software:-
-I think hardly anyone use Pages and Numbers
-I have no idea if Photos app, GarageBand, iMovies are as popular as they were mid 2000's
-Safari is like the least capable browser between FireFox, Brave, Chrome, and Edge.
-I think Final Cut Pro is no longer a main video editing software for Pros which seem to prefer AVID and Premiere but idk.
-I am pretty confident that Keychain password manager is the worst compared to: 1password, EnPass, Bitwarden, even Strongbox I must say

I said everyone wants a scoop of their ice cream 🍨, not their frown.

Few care about other's sufferance, only their endowment.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.