Netflix on ATV?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by mskorup8, May 21, 2009.

1. mskorup8 macrumors newbie

Is there any current way to get Netflix on ATV?

Thanks

2. gcmexico macrumors 6502a

gcmexico

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Umm I thought with Boxee you could use the netflix plugin?

4. kadeschs macrumors regular

You can. It's just that Netflix isn't supported on ATV out of the box. That wouldn't be good business sense for Apple to have a competing movie buy/rental service on their device.

5. mskorup8 thread starter macrumors newbie

So how do I get netflix and Boxee on my new apple tv? Also, does ATV support the netflix hi-def feeds? :apple:

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Of course Netflix isn't on ATV out of the box. Seriously.

Here is what I found on google ... Netflix on ATV?

7. mskorup8 thread starter macrumors newbie

I did a search and i have read that boxee doesn't support netflix on the ATV? So, how do I get Netflix?

8. kadeschs macrumors regular

Well, I should clarify my response. I see a Netflix plug-in in Boxee as if it's capable of doing so. I cannot verify how well it works since I don't personally have a Netflix account to make use of it. I understand others were discussing it in the past. I assume it is working for those who currently have a Netflix account.

9. spice weasel macrumors 65816

You can't get Netflix on the ATV. You can get it through Boxee on a mini or other full-fledged computer. It's not a Boxee issue, it's an ATV hardware one. Until someone can figure out how to get Silverlight to run on the ATV, no Netflix streaming.

10. gcmexico macrumors 6502a

gcmexico

fine you needed the full answer...well now u got it..get a mini and use it as a media center...you can put boxee on FrontRow and access Netflix...enjoy:D

11. Chris Rogers macrumors 6502a

Chris Rogers

I thought it was the ATV's processor that couldn't handle it.

12. mskorup8 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks! hope I wasn't a pain I still love my :apple:TV!

13. spice weasel macrumors 65816

Hence, "It's not a Boxee issue, it's an ATV hardware one." Until we get a version of Silverlight light enough to run on the 1 GHz Crofton processor it uses, or Netflix moves to a different software platform, there will be no Netflix streaming on the ATV.

14. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

Or Apple actually upgrades the ATV and puts in a decent processor...

15. Chris Rogers macrumors 6502a

Chris Rogers

just trying to clarify for those who may want to know more specifically

16. kadeschs macrumors regular

Interesting. Well, I have Firefox installed with Silverlight running properly on my ATV. If I had a Netflix account, could I then at least watch standard definition movies? I know the ITV website works fine for example.

17. brand macrumors 601

brand

Since it's not officially supported by Apple or Netflix and no one here seems to have done I don't really see how you would expect us to know the answer to that.

18. Chris Rogers macrumors 6502a

Chris Rogers

NO

19. kadeschs macrumors regular

Yeah, well neither is Boxee but plenty of people have taken the time to invoke that functionality. You may not know what people have experimented with until you ask. I've learned a lot through other people's experiences.

Thanks Chris. I don't have a Netflix account, but was curious if it could be done. I'm always open to new ways to use this excellent product.

20. CPD_1 macrumors 6502

I'd recommend signing up for a free trial and testing it out yourself. It's the last link in the chain, and then you'll have your answer.

21. mskorup8 thread starter macrumors newbie

22. Chris Rogers macrumors 6502a

Chris Rogers

The Netflix App isn't even on Apple TV w/ Boxee. I had Netflix, there is no way to get it on Apple TV.

23. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

As an FYI, the best way I've found to get Netflix streaming to my TV is to run a cable from my computer straight to my TV and mirror the display. It's not perfect, and I have to be at the computer to get the movie started, but it does work just fine once the movie is going.

24. CPD_1 macrumors 6502

Or, you could own an xbox with a gold subscription. Although, that's assuming you play video games and play them online. The Netflix experience on Xbox is the one reason I haven't installed boxee or nitoTV on my :apple:TV. While it would be nice to have everything in one place, I'd still be playing my games on the xbox, and with my Harmony remote, it's just as easy to turn on the xbox for netflix as it is to flip through the menus on my :apple:TV.

Between the two, I think I've got everything I want in a home theatre system.