Netflix on LG UltraFine 5K?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by HDFan, Jan 7, 2017.

1. HDFan macrumors 6502

I'm current using the old (non-lightning) display port Cinema Display 30" on my MacPro using Apple's lightning to display port adapter.. Netflix will not play in 10.0.2 Safari on 10.11.6 El Capitan, giving the not unexpected, but surely not wanted, HCDP error. From the posts I have seen this implies that when I upgrade to the LG UltraFine 5K when the new MacPro comes out (I wonder if that March 31 discounted rate date implies anything?) Netflix will not play on that display either.

I'm hopefully wondering if anyone who has the new display can contradict this assumption ....

2. Brookzy macrumors 601

Brookzy

3. daveak macrumors regular

Sat watching Netflix on my 5k UltraFine now.

4. TopToffee macrumors 6502a

How do you know, when watching through safari, if the feed is 4k?

On a 4k TV it specifically mentions UHD, but can't see anything similar on the web version.

5. Penlocky macrumors member

----------
    Netflix 4K is not supported on the latest Safari and Chrome. It only supports on Windows 10's Edge browser. You will have to install windows on your Mac.
    And! And this is the most ridiculous thing. 4K Netflix is only available on Intel Kaby Lake processors due to the HDCP 2.2 requirement on Netflix behalf. Only Kaby Lake processors are equipped with HDCP 2.2 hardware in the chip.
    HDCP 2.2 is a Digital Rights Management requirement.

6. jimthing macrumors 6502a

jimthing

Here's an article, that skims the issue:
    https://thenextweb.com/apps/2016/11/22/netflix-can-finally-stream-4k-pc-probably-not

Only on Windows Edge, and Windows machines with Kay Lake processors, that next to none have. Really quite stupid IMO. Many users have 4K+ Mac displays all over the place, as they're quite affordable, yet no support for UHD 4K, makes it not worth paying Netflix for the higher-end package to get it. Shoot self in foot.

Of course they're likely tied into contracts demanding so-called DRM safeguards. And they're playing the long game, when new machines in 2017 on both Mac/Win get released with Kaby Lake. But in the end all it does is hurt the end user, given even MBP 2016 users are SOL.

Gee, thanks again to overly cautious DRM policy, making piracy the usual default yet again!