netflix on ps3

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by gdeusthewhizkid, Dec 15, 2009.

1. gdeusthewhizkid macrumors 6502a

Im thinking of signing up for this... does anyone have it.. how is it ? How does it compare to itunes and a apple tv quality.....

2. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I have the Netflix disc that works with the PS3 (and other internet enabled Blu ray players) and it works really well.

I have not rented or bought movies from iTunes, so I can't compare how it looks to it, but I can say that (depending on your internet connection), you can expect to see DVD quality. There are some titles that say they are in HD, but I have not tried them out yet.

I say go for it! $8.99 gets you unlimited rentals and streaming, what could be better for that price?

3. gdeusthewhizkid thread starter macrumors 6502a

yea the 8.99 sounds really good considering if i did rent from itunes it cost me 2.99. and i can rent as much as i want which is a great deal. do they send you the free blu ray disc.....

4. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

Yes. You have to request it here: http://www.netflix.com/ps3

5. rayward macrumors 68000

Be aware that Netflix has only limited titles for "instant viewing", and the ones that are available aren't the latest and greatest releases. It's a nice feature if you already use the Netflix service and have a PS3 (it's totally free), but I wouldn't sign up for Netflix just to use this service.

My installation disc is supposed to arrive today, so I haven't tried it out yet.

6. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

The Netflix experience on the 360 is much better. However, the PS3 experience is on par with Roku and other Netflix-capable players.

Sony is supposedly working with Netflix to integrate it directly in the PS3's firmware by the end of 2010.

You should keep in mind that there's no browsing on the PS3 like the 360. So, you have to add all your movies/TV shows manually to your Instant Streaming queue via Netflix's Web site.

7. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I'm just curious, how is the Netflix experience better on the Xbox 360? What does it do that the PS3 version doesn't do? From what Netflix has said, there are no features that either has that the other one doesn't.

That's not true. You can browse Netflix movies on the PS3 and add them to your instant queue with it too. I know, that's how I do it. I don't believe you can search for movies though, only browse.

8. larrybeo macrumors regular

Great Quality!

Like everything else it offers, the experience on the PS3 far surpasses the 360. You can actually browse a catalog of titles and recommendations - not just what is currently in your instant queue as the 360 limits you to. I have a 52" 120Hz Samsung displaying my PS3... and when streaming Netflix over a Wireless connection it looks great! I would expect my tv would bring out the flaws in just about everything, for non-HD channels look like puke on it. The Netflix service is highly recommended. They offer about 10,000 titles right now and add more every month. The interface on the PS3 makes it easy to browse titles, but all of the available titles are still not there - there is a much better selection online. I frequently find myself on my iPhone adding titles to my "instant queue" so they appear on the PS3.

9. zenoran macrumors regular

I was amazed at the quality of the HD movies streaming through netflix on the PS3... I used to have a computer hooked up to my 65" dlp but don't remember the quality being anywhere near what it is on the PS3. I'm not sure if netflix's streaming got better or if it's just a better rendering on the PS3. HD is STUNNING. Regular def 480p looks fine too but I just can't believe how close to blu-ray quality the HD looks like, streaming over an internet connection!

ya there aren't many good titles but they're adding more and more every day and seem to be taking the HD route going forward...

10. fpnc macrumors 68000

I have both an Apple TV and the Netflix disc for the PS3 and I've watched movies using both. The quality on Netflix/PS3 varies more than what I've seen on the Apple TV (and I have an 8Mbps internet connection so I don't think this is being caused by my equipment). Some of the Netflix titles (maybe because of the old sources) are pretty poor but the vast majority that I've looked at are quite good (maybe not DVD quality but certainly watchable). In any case, if you want to use Netflix for DVD/Blu-ray rental then the instant streaming is a nice extra and definitely worth having on your PS3.

I've found the streaming performance on Netflix to be very good. On my internet connection movies start in maybe 10+ seconds and I've never had a stall in the playback. However, I've also tried Netflix from my Mac over a slower DSL/wireless connection and that required maybe five minutes to buffer the startup of the movie.

In any case, Netflix offers a free 10-day trial so you really have nothing to lose if you want to try it out.

As for quality in comparison to the rentals on the iTunes Store, they aren't nearly as nice as the iTunes HD and as a previous poster noted the selection of titles available for streaming is definitely limited (but there is a fairly large number of titles, so you'll still have a lot of sources to select from). One other difference between Netflix and Apple, I don't think any of the streaming content from Netflix has multi-channel sound which is standard on Apple's HD rentals.

11. gdeusthewhizkid thread starter macrumors 6502a

wow i didnt know you could do that. How do u do that....

12. gdeusthewhizkid thread starter macrumors 6502a

im trying to save some money in 2010. I was spending way too much on itunes over the past year buying/renting movies & tv shows. I figure 8.99 for unlimited renting & movies and then buying them on from psn store for titles i really want. Should be way more affordable.

13. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

You can go to the Netflix website on your iPhone or you can download this iPhone app (opens in iTunes).

14. sishaw macrumors 65816

sishaw

Netflix on PS3

Excellent for hi-def content, so-so (picture wise) for standard def content on my 40-inch hi-def television. But either way, it's wonderfully convenient and you can't beat the price, if you have a Netflix account anyway.

Beats hooking up my laptop to my TV hands-down.

15. zenoran macrumors regular

You can also add stuff to your netflix queue from Flixter too which I find useful a bit more pleasant in some cases... if the movie is available for streaming it gives u the option to put it in your instant or your dvd queue.

16. robotartfashion macrumors 6502

This is not true, plain and simple. I have both a PS3 and a XBOX 360 and after the update to the XBOX 360 netflix service last fall you can browse much more than your queue only.

I like the GUI of the Live service for netflix and as a result use this as my default netflix capable device. To each their own but I just had to make sure to right an inaccuracy.

As far as quality I think it looks great. There's so much awesome content on here (especially with TV series).

Also, to a earlier post, there are lots of new things on there. Starz puts most of their movies on for instant viewing, which includes many first run titles that are just recently available on iTunes or Red Box.

You can always supplement your viewing with other sources like iTunes or the actual physical discs from Netflix (of which you are entitled to 1 at a time with the $8.95/month plan. But between Netflix and Hulu I almost never run out of things to watch, really.

Netflix instant watch is simply the best deal going right now for paid content.

17. gdeusthewhizkid thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks can't wait to get my ps3 disc to start the streaming...

18. rayward macrumors 68000

FWIW, I got my disc last night and tried it out. Movies start very quickly, even high-def, and they look good. I did notice a little bit of jerkiness occasionally on high-def content, but that may be my connection or my network getting slammed with a Time Machine back-up or something.

Browsing the catalogue (which may not be the full instant catalogue as each category is exactly 100 items) is a little clunky as there's no search feature. As had been stated before, though, you can browse the website and add stuff to your queue, which will show up on your personal list making it much easier to find.

The selection is patchy, and there's nothing new or hot available. It's a nice option to have as an addition to your Netflix account, but I still can't recommend getting Netflix for this service alone.

19. Camaro6700 macrumors member

It works great and I use it almost every night. It has helped me realize cancelling cable TV was a good idea.

20. gdeusthewhizkid thread starter macrumors 6502a

I can't cancel my cable. I need my sports package lol...

21. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Netflix on the 360 is smoother and loads much faster since it’s integrated. There’s also some features like Party that are not available on the PS3 because Netflix is using BD-Live.

You’re right. It looks like they’ve added category browsing to the PS3. I only used it the first few days after launch, but I could have swore there was only Instant Queue and New Arrivals. This is great, and puts at least the core functions on par with the XBOX 360. I wonder if they updated Roku and the Netflix-enabled Blu-ray players and TVs with category browsing?

I look forward to seeing what Sony does when Netflix gets integrated with the PS3 next year.

I’m getting close to canceling cable. My cable company just encrypted my local HD channels (ABC, NBC, PBS, FOX, CW, CBS, etc) after almost three years of broadcasting them in the clear via clear-QAM. Needless to say, I’m pretty upset. They want $64 a month + $5 per box per room to get them back. Before last week, we could get all locals in HD via clear-QAM on both of our HDTVs and I recorded those channels via our HD HomeRun for $34 per month (basic cable).

Ridiculous.

22. gdeusthewhizkid thread starter macrumors 6502a

hey i got the ps3 and netflix working now. it really is great . it doesn't have as much content as itunes obviously but it does have a ton of great flicks and for the price it really is a great option. With my current setup of mac mini ps3 and hd cable. I dont think i ever get bored at home lol.