Netflix on Retina, Difference?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by fruitycups, Mar 9, 2012.

1. fruitycups macrumors 6502

Quick question.

Would netflix on the retina display actually make a considerable difference than on the ipad 2?

I realize the display will have a higher pixel count but wouldn't netflix have to allow HD streaming from the actual ipad app?

It may be me but netflix on the ipad 2 doesn't look that great..

2. Advil macrumors 6502a

assuming they actually stream full 1080p to mobile devices... then yeah it should look really, really nice.

I know on xbox and things like that, they test your connection and show as high quality as your internet can handle, so over a good wifi connection I don't see why they wouldn't.

I'm guessing EVERYTHING is going to look great on the new screen as soon as the apps are optimized.

When the iPhone 4 first came out and apps were still using the old resolution, everything was pretty ugly for a while. So it'll take at least a month or so for everything to be updated I'm guessing.

3. fruitycups thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks for the reply. Netflix looks great on on hd tv and my monitor cause i can actual tell that it goes HD but it doesn't even look that good on my phone. It makes me wonder if im even getting a HD stream on my 4s.

4. jbimler macrumors regular

I'm pretty sure the PS3 allows 1080p streaming so I wouldn't be surprised to see it come to the new iPad.

5. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

Netflix streams adapt depending on network conditions, screen size and other factors.

So on a 4S it won't give you 720P necessarily as you only have 640 vertical pixels. On iPad it will give you 720P if you have a good wifi connection and also if the content itself is available in HD (Not all netflix content is in HD in the first place...)

Netflix would have to update the app to enable 1080P streaming though, which they probably will because it has LTE support rather than just 3G on the current iPad's for mobile viewing.

6. eclipseblur954 macrumors regular

not to mention netflix just updated their apple TV app to support 1080p streaming. now that the ipad will support 1080p i don't see why not

7. acarney macrumors 6502

I was very curious about this too. There was a lot of talk about Netflix updating to 1080 P on the Apple TV. I haven't heard anything about it being 1080 P on the new iPad though. I really hope they do allow 1080 P streaming on the new iPad and maybe even the iPad 2 actually. Even if they don't allow 1080 P streaming on the new iPad I think the increased color saturation of the new retina display should make Netflix look better in the end.

8. MTShipp macrumors 6502a

If you go into your account settings, you can choose 3 settings for quality. The highest may give you better video quality on the new iPad. I updated mine so I will find out next Friday!