Netflix online movie viewing on a Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by ouphe, Mar 9, 2008.

1. ouphe macrumors regular

I've been watching streaming movies from Netflix on my crappy old PC for a while, but I recently installed Windows XP on my Mac Pro and am curious as to whether or not I will be able to watch Netflix movies on my big monitor, now.

I tried once, using Internet Explorer (gag) after booting my Mac in Windows, but the service wouldn't let me connect, saying I was missing drivers.

I'm on a stock Jan '08 machine...where would I get the correct drivers so that my video card will work with Windows correctly?

Thanks!

2. Timan macrumors member

Timan

Should

Works fine, I use crossfire, load up ie6 and just watch it on that. You can also use vmware and parallels if you wanna stay inside OSX.

3. Brandon3003 macrumors member

I always have an XP vmware running that I use to watch my netflix streamed movies. Works great :p

4. rockinrocker macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

i'm doing it both in bootcamp and parallels, works fine.

just be careful, you only get four devices a year to use, and for some reason you can't de-authorize one in favor of a new one, and if you reinstall that counts as another one.

5. ouphe thread starter macrumors regular

So I've tried and tried, but still can't get Netflix to work on my Mac Pro, in Parallels or Bootcamp (using Windows XP and the most recent IE).

I just got the 8800GT and downloaded and installed all the drivers so it would work with Windows, but still no luck. It starts to stream the movie, but before it loads fully, it flickers off and starts over after about 5 seconds. I don't think it's a problem with the internet connection, however, as a PC I sometimes have hooked up (but am selling, so I won't be able to use it as my Netflix-hub) streams the videos just fine (and it's WAY old).

Any suggestions? It's driving me crazy that this seems to be working for so many people, but I simply can't get it to work for me.

Thanks!

6. user13 macrumors regular

user13

Maybe there's something wrong with codecs or video drivers?

Definitely this is not a Parallels problem. Did you try to reinstall Parallels. This sometimes helps

7. Trip.Tucker Guest

Crossfire? Free download?

8. jb60606 macrumors 6502a

I don't stream Netflix, but I do stream cinemanow.com and movielink.com and both work well through VMWare & Windows XP.

9. gmontag macrumors newbie

Try manully installing the latest version of windows media player in your xp setup.

10. rockinrocker macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

i don't think netflix use's WMP, i'm pretty sure you have to download theirs....