Netflix performance on Verizon?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Pravius, Feb 9, 2011.

1. Pravius macrumors regular

Just curious to see for those who have used it, how is the quality and speed of streaming Netflix on Verizon's network?

2. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

I'm trying it now with a random movie (The Machinist).
    Seems OK. A bit pixel-y but I've never used Netfiix over cellular before. Looks better on WiFi.

3. shadrap macrumors 6502

Looks great here, the same it did on my AT&T iPhone 4. I am actually surprised how well it does. I could give a rats ass, all I wanted from it was to make calls. The data is just the icing on the cake.

4. tekker macrumors regular

5. landscapeman macrumors regular

I used it the last few days. The very first time on Verizon 3G it started out for maybe a min. pixelated, like a bad youtube video. After that one time it has worked just fine, Maybe not as clear as on wifi. I may live in a better Verizon data area than others, so that would be a factor in it as well.

6. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

7. tucker3434 macrumors regular

I would call it shockingly watchable. I'm surprised. My BB couldn't handle playing youtube videos AT ALL in the same area. The picture quality isn't great, but it doesn't have to stop and buffer either.

8. digitard macrumors 6502a

digitard

Flawless for me and it's in one of the locations I know my speed is not at it's peak (as I mentioned somewhere else I work in the HQ for a large internet based company so it's not the friendliest place for Cell signal due to the fact there's enough cabling and computer crap in this building to network Skynet).

I just streamed the first 10mins of Superman: The Movie from Netflix (pleasantly surprised to see it was in Widescreen, too, as the last time I saw it was on a 4:3 release).

Anyways it took about 30 seconds to start (the Loading screens) and then it was flawless. It didn't start out pixely (I checked by restarting the movie in a few diff places after that).

Can't complain. I wasn't expecting it to be such a smooth and solid performance since I know the building kills my Cell abilities a little bit, but definitely did a great job.

9. whiteyanderson macrumors 6502

Flawless here too (Los Angeles if that helps). Matter of fact everything has been flawless.

10. FiremanMike macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)

Just a friendly reminder about Netflix, it constantly adjusts based on active connection. Even on wifi when your conn gets worse it will pixilate a bit, then go back to clear when things improve.

On a side note, I'm still amazed at this display.. I watched Netflix last night and thought back to the handheld TVs of decades past and chuckled to myself about how far we've come..

11. shadrap macrumors 6502

My thoughts exactly. Not a fanboy. I just want my stuff to work and my iPhone 4 for Verizon, Just Works!

12. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I'm amazed that you would pay $30 a month for something that's just "icing on the cake" and that you don't really care about.

13. Steelers7510 macrumors 6502

Steelers7510

I haven't had any problems at all. In fact I really can't tell a difference from 3G to WiFi. Also YouTube for me is flawless as well. :apple:

14. IAmTheCrack macrumors member

Looks flawless to me. Just tried streaming Mary and Max. Here'e a screenshot.

Attached Files:

15. Crodriguez macrumors newbie

Verizon iphone wont stream netflix

Hi, this is my first post here and i am new here. I have a verizon iphone, and i tried netflix on my phone and it says it is not supported. What can i do to watch netflix on here? Thanks.

16. Russiaone macrumors 6502

Um, I'm on ATT, so this is kinda off topic. Forgive me. But I was on the bus watching Ira and Abby on Netflix, and it was FLAWLESS! Could not believe how awesome it looked.

No pixelation. No lag. It was... awesome. Even with only 2 bars of 3G reception.

17. Sysyphus macrumors newbie

Haven't really used netflix much, but tried it out a few times and it looks pretty good... I did watch a couple of hours of the live world cup cricket stream from willow.tv while I was at the bar the other night and it was amazingly watchable... a little tricky to read the scores at the bottom of the screen, but that's more due to my poor old eyes than the iPhone.

18. DDustiNN macrumors 65816

DDustiNN

I tried it at work one day shortly after I got my Verizon iPhone, and I could not believe how clear it was over 3G. Especially since Verizon's 3G is so freaking slow. But the movie started playing almost instantly, there was no buffering, and it was surprisingly clear.

On a slightly related note, I've watched it on my iPad before via Wi-Fi and it's just about perfect that way.

19. Macfan31, Mar 10, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2011

Macfan31 macrumors newbie

Your lucky! My download speeds are really slow on Verizon and it's barely worth watching Netflix. I do like my phone though and it's fine for reading the news online.

20. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

I will definitely try this on my road trip to California. I will let everyone know how it went, I leave Monday. Since I am not doing the driving, I get to relax to a movie & headphones. (So do the other passengers). When I do drive, obviously not :D

21. Generik777 macrumors regular

Generik777

Works perfect for me. Same quality as when viewing over wifi, just takes a few seconds longer to get up to full quality.

22. mpossoff macrumors 68020

We should hear from those that have had ATT and made the switch cause there is a difference. Only a VZW customer who has always been a VZW customer wouldn't notice a difference.