Netflix PPC (Possible, in Theory)

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by AmestrisXServe, Feb 26, 2014.

1. AmestrisXServe macrumors 6502

With the release of Netflix-Desktop on Linux, combined with Darwine, it might be possible to get Silverlight running on PPC OSX.

I would suspect some serious performance issues, but perhaps 240p video would work. Can anyone attest to the performance of Darwine on G5 systems?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Netflix barely plays without stutters on the 1.5Ghz CoreSolo Mini. It wouldn't even get past the loading screen with Darwine.

3. AmestrisXServe thread starter macrumors 6502

I run Netflix regularly on an old Atom system--in low-quality mind you--so I am not sure what the minimum requirements are, especially if you set your buffer to the minimum possible.

That said, I don;t know what the performance ration is for Darwine, for any kind of complicated task. It's a shame that it was axed before it came of age.

I ran XP using VPC at a reasonable speed on my G5 systems, but I never tried to do video or media content streaming with VPC. Most of this has to do with the i386 emulation algorithms, and I believe that Darwine uses Qemu, which isn't known for having the best capabilities.

As I had VPC, I never really bothered with Darwine, but if anyone wanted to recover that project, I should expect that it could be improved. It would be interesting to see if it works at all, ignoring the video speed for the moment, to check initial viability.

Clearly, this is not a solution for a G4, but fast dual and quad G5 systems might be able to pull it off.

That where I could use some feedback and benchmarks: From anyone who has used Darwine on a later-model G5, as they are pretty easy and inexpensive now, and this would be a useful took, assuming it is usable.

As I said, I would expect only the lowest video quality,a nd smallest buffer, to function, but that is still better than naught, and is what I use on my Atom-based netbook. If only Netflix used JAVA instead of Silverlight, or if Hulu dumped their adverts; especially as the Hulu JAVA-encapsulated videos tend to break at every advert on older systems.

In my experience, my older HW runs Netflix with Silverlight far better than Hulu with JRTE.

It may also be interesting to try to pipe the video from an Intel system to a PPC system, via a 1000bT LAN connection. As the module relies on a pipe through Wine, it might be possible to do this, similarly, through an Intel system elsewhere on the network.

4. gooser macrumors 6502

if you run the old netflix on a ppc it will work just fine. at least on most of them and excellent quality. in fact without modifications the old netflix won't run on new macs. and what is the old netflix? dvd's by mail.

5. YanniDepp macrumors 6502

YanniDepp

I second this. I have a Core Duo iMac and it barely plays on that.

6. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

I can see it being a horribly slow workaround.

7. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Any Atom machine is more powerful than the CoreSolo Mini. That would be why it works. Even then, the first generation Atoms can't do the higher quality streams. It is possible to pipe Netflix to a PowerPC machine using Plex. It requires a fairly powerful Intell Mac and a CoreImage PPC machine that is at least 1.5Ghz to work well.

8. AmestrisXServe thread starter macrumors 6502

Is there any sort of FAQ or guide for that?

I can easily route a pipe through any number of local systems. Running the streams on my G5 is simply a matter of location / convenience, plus the large display, sound system, and my remote control.

I suspect that a dual 2.7GHz system is more than adequate.

As to the peanut-gallery comments about Netflix by post, that isn't always an option. Besides this, even if it was an option, I dislike using discs for any kind of media playback, and keep everything archived, as a digital files on RAID-arrays.

9. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Get Plex Media Server running on an Intell Mac. Make sure you setup the Netflix part of it. The Intell Mac must be a fairly powerful Mac (no Core2Duos) in order for this to work. Get the Plex client for PowerPC and configure it to work with the Intell PMS. Done. It doesn't work with non-CoreImage cards and the GeForce 5200 isn't powerful enough to drive Plex very well. Requires a Fast Ethernet connection between the two.

10. AmestrisXServe thread starter macrumors 6502

Is there any version limitation for Plex Media Server, to be compatible with Plex client (PPC)?

I see a bit of staggered and scattered information on Plex, but not coherent guides, for using the software; especially in conjunction with the (now unsupported) PPC client.

I'd be running it on a Xeon system, with 1000bT. I could use link aggregation to increase bandwidth, but that would only matter if I am using a lot of bandwidth aside from the streams.

11. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The current non-PlexPass version of PMS works fine with the PowerPC Plex client build.

12. AmestrisXServe thread starter macrumors 6502

I'll give it a try next week, installing the Plex Media Server on one of my XServe systems, after making a system mirror.

I would still be interested in using any Intel system (running Linux, or Windows) as a pipe, instead of using Wine, as this should still be possible with the Netflix-Desktop programme, providing a possible method for those who have a mixed-system environment.