Netflix price change.

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by Mitchrapp, Nov 22, 2010.

1. Mitchrapp macrumors 6502a

If you're like me and only stream without DVDs through the mail, the price has been reduced to 7.99 a month. Sweetness.

Of course the downside, stream and DVDs through mail is now 9.99.

2. Don Kosak macrumors 6502a

Don Kosak

Yeah, my plan is being raised from $16.99 to $19.99 for 3 discs at home.

There is a lot of new content on the streaming side, I may switch over to the streaming-only version for a bit, to see if I can live without the discs.

3. Mitchrapp thread starter macrumors 6502a

They do have more than they use to. But you have to be okay that a movie you want to watch might not be there. I'm perfectly fine with streaming only but I have a friend who gets all bent out of shape that some movies aren't streamable.

Good plan for me though ;).

4. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

5. Btrthnezr3 macrumors 6502a

Btrthnezr3

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Yup I just saw my email on this. We are at two discs and streaming now but I think we may move to one disc plus streaming and save 5 bucks a month. Pinch a little here a little there you know?

6. iFrankie macrumors member

Pretty disappointed about the price increase. Thankfully we're still grandfathered in with four discs. Netflix was originally $19.99+ a few years ago. It was only a matter of time until they returned to that price range. It just doesn't make sense do it when the economy is still recovering.

The streaming content selection is getting better but it's not great. Thanks to our new AppleTV, we've used the Netflix streaming a lot more. However, I don't think we could rely solely on the limited streaming catalog.

7. topmounter macrumors 68020

topmounter

With the price increase notice, I went ahead and downgraded to 2+BR from 3+BR. Honestly, there are so many titles available for streaming now that I want to see that I could easily drop to 1 disc per month.

8. flyguy206 macrumors 6502a

9. Pinger macrumors regular

I agree, I stream 90% of the time BUT I wish they would have more material available for streaming, seems newer movies are still only available via DVD.. You think they'd have all streamable since it would it would be much cheaper for them instead of incurring postage & handling fees..

10. Mitchrapp thread starter macrumors 6502a

They would lose business unless the streaming fees were increased greatly. There are many out there that don't have a PS3, Xbox, iPad and other devices that are able to run Netflex. So it's either DVDs or nothing.

11. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

I started off with 2 DVDs and streaming and that got to be too many movies to watch so I dropped to 1 DVD. I have been so swamped at work that I haven't watched much so going to just streaming is actually something I am pretty happy about - save a few bucks..

12. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Just saw the out of business sign go up on my local Blockbuster. I have been waiting for that to happen for years now. Good thing I started my Netflix subscription last week! But I totally disagree when the Netflix CEO says that most users stream now. How can that be? Most movies are not in streaming format! So this seems highly unlikely. Perhaps he WISHES that were true, but we are not to that point yet. So one DVD plan for me. For now.

13. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

I agree, I would say about 10% of what I really want to watch is avilable for streaming.
    perhaps all the movies he wants to watch are available for streaming

14. LinMac macrumors 65816

This is really a net price increase for no additional services. I don't stream at all due to the lack of any newer content that I want to see. Where is the DVD only plan without streaming so I can get a price drop instead of a price increase for something I don't use?

Yes, it is only $3. Comcast only increased my bill by $2 (or so) per year, but that has added up to $20+ over the last ten years. $36 per year vs. $200 per year is a big difference (which is why I canceled Comcast in the first place), but it is still $36 more per year for nothing.

Extra for Blu-ray, price increase for streaming, and lacking content. No thanks. I'll be canceling Netflix when the price goes up in January.

15. Stirolak123 macrumors 6502

Indent think that's true anymore since everyone is switching to the blue ray standard and all br players now come with Netflix and almost everyone has at least an deice or one of the new consoles as well.

16. 87vert macrumors 6502

87vert

I switched to the streaming only plan as soon as I got the email. I was waiting for it forever lol.

17. SAH2 macrumors newbie

We can't switch to streaming only as Netflix does not provide CC in their streams. So it is a $3 a month increase to continue to get the CC that we need in our house (on the DVD's).

They should offer a DVD only option for those that require closed captioning until they get it in their streaming media.

18. rusty2192 macrumors 6502a

When I first read about the price changes, I thought, "I'm glad I was in before the change to stay grandfathered at $8.99 for the 1 disk plan." then I got my email saying they are raising my rates. I guess I should have read that User Agreement a little more closely when signing up. Oh well, an extra dollar each month won't break the bank.

19. yankintx macrumors 6502

I agree with ya. Most of the old crap they have for streaming is available for free on Comcast on Demand anyway.

I did watch Apocalypse Now the other night! I remembered why I didn't like that movie some 20+ years ago. fell asleep watching it!

20. Mitchrapp thread starter macrumors 6502a

I don't have any problems with the streamable movies and TV shows. I love movies so if I want to watch a movie one night and they don't have it, I go watch a movie they do have. Backup plan.

I think your short changing streaming a bit, IMO, they have a great selection and quite a bit in HD. And it's only getting better. Soooo many movies. And great TV.

21. elmo151 Guest

I dropped my 2 disk a month plan and went to streaming. I can rent newer movies on my apple tv or Roku[amazon movies]

22. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

This is an excellent deal! If I didn't already have my coworker's Netflix login info, I would definitely think about finally subscribing ;) Muahaha

23. jazz1 macrumors 65816

jazz1

What do you mean by "grandfathered in"? No price increase or just that you have kept the 4 disc plan? I've been on the 4 disc plan for almost a year and an email from Netflix gave me a price increase.

24. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

My tastes must just be different. About 10% or so of what I would like to watch is available for streaming - otherwise, it's discs for me.

Disappointed about the rate hike, but I guess business is business. *shrug*