Netflix Rolling Out iOS Update That Adds Bottom Tab Bar for Easier Navigation

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 26, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Over the past few days there have been multiple reports of a new update to the Netflix app on iOS and Android devices, which includes a design overhaul for the streaming service's navigation bar on smartphones. Instead of placing every piece of navigation within the top lefthand corner "hamburger" menu, Netflix has introduced a simpler tab bar at the bottom of the app with four tabs for Home, Search, Downloads, and More.

[​IMG]
    Netflix's hamburger menu (iPad) compared to the new bottom tab bar (iPhone)

Previously, the left-handed menu housed profile switching, notifications, downloads, My List, and various themed categories. Now, these options are mostly located in the "More" tab, and Netflix has broken out Search and Downloads as a quicker method of jumping into those areas of the app. TV and film categories are also now located in the Search tab, including those Available for Download, Netflix Originals, Action, Dramas, Horror, and more. On Android, it appears that there will be an additional tab for users called "Coming Soon," displaying TV shows and movies launching soon on Netflix.

Apple encourages developers to use tab bars at the bottom of their apps in its Human Interface Guidelines, since they're easier to use one-handed and provide more information at a glance. Two years ago Spotify made a similar change, replacing its hamburger menu with five tabs for Home, Browse, Search, Radio, and Your Library, akin to Apple Music's tabs on iOS. Earlier this month, Google Maps added a bottom tab bar in its iOS app as well, so users could easily jump to Explore, Driving, or Transit information.

Netflix's rollout plan for the new tab bar remains unclear, with some iPhone and iPad users already seeing the update and others remaining on the older hamburger menu style.

Article Link: Netflix Rolling Out iOS Update That Adds Bottom Tab Bar for Easier Navigation

2. DeepIn2U macrumors 603

DeepIn2U

Netflix ... just please do NOT screw up the AppleTV UI like Google did with their YouTube app. Please I'm begging you!!

3. Guyincognito76 macrumors newbie

Guyincognito76

I’ve had it since yesterday; I assume this is because I switched on the ‘test participation’ option in Netflix’s settings.

4. hugo7 macrumors regular

Apple was way ahead with this "tab bar at the bottom" navigation. It's always been superior to the hamburger slide out or top tab bars (which seems like a hangover from the desktop).

One previous issue was that the original 3.5 screen was so small that any extra UI chrome would eat into that screen estate. Still, bottom tab bar navigation has always been the better option.

(that said, still don't understand "+" and "Edit" in the top right corner :( )

5. Iconoclysm macrumors 68020

Iconoclysm

Netflix's AppleTV app wastes massive amounts of space. You can literally only see one row at a time. Youtube's app isn't great but at least they don't devote 2/3 of the screen to a jpeg image.

6. Ecofritze macrumors newbie

There was a time where the user was able to change the items appearing inside the tab bar, like in the Music app of iOS 5 if I remember correctly.

7. jmh600cbr macrumors 6502a

jmh600cbr

i've had it for a few days and i like it way more

8. DeepIn2U macrumors 603

DeepIn2U

I'd prefer the clean UI and non gigantic jpeg images for previews. Also I heavily prefer ATV's 10 second previous/advance swipe+hold option on the remote as well as their scrubbing method vs ATV_YouTube app.

9. Return Zero macrumors 6502a

Return Zero

From a quality standpoint, Netflix has been steadily descending into hot garbage. There's still a lot of great content out there, but you have to wade through increasingly large piles of crap to find it. When they did away with any semblance of an actual rating system, and doubled down on their user-hostile UI with auto-playing videos, I knew the corporate greed had taken over completely. At this point I'm just hoping they fail as quickly as possible, and I'm actually counting on Disney and Apple to hasten that day. :eek:

EDIT: Sorry, that rant didn't have much to do with the post at hand. This UI tweak is actually great; I hated the old style.

10. GIZBUG macrumors 68000

GIZBUG

11. goaliefight macrumors newbie

I hate hamburger menus. They literally looked at the worst design mistake you can ever make, mystery meat navigation, and said “YES! LETS DO THAT!” And to add insult injury they even made it look like a hamburger

12. WeemanWise macrumors 6502

WeemanWise

Can they make the Apple TV app easier to navigate now?

13. Iconoclysm macrumors 68020

Iconoclysm

I know this goes against all of today's design, but simply adding a settings option that lets us choose between a couple of UI's would be the greatest thing to ever happen on Apple TV.

Hulu's is the absolute worst, I can't even imagine how this crap made it past QA.

14. KALLT macrumors 601

It’s a welcome improvement, but still not enough to make it a great app.

Why didn’t they add ‘My List’ to the tab bar as well? To me that item is more important than the download section. The app also still kicks you out of the app when you attempt to access the account settings.

I personally also still hate the horizontal scrolling. I’d rather have vertical scrolling only (you can do this on the web version).

15. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

Just noticed it now on my X. I like it. Not an overwhelming change, but subtle.

16. bigjnyc, Feb 26, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2018

bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

I've had this for 2 weeks already on the iPhone. like it much better.... My only complaint is that they should have added "my list" as one of the options in the bar... instead of burying it in the more menu.

17. rikscha macrumors 6502a

It has been terrible ever since.

18. earthTOmitchel Contributing Editor

earthTOmitchel

Staff Member

Adding to this, it baffles me that we still can't organize our Lists on iOS or Apple TV. I've sort of given up caring at this point, but sometimes when I add a show to My List it shoots to the top, and other times it appears at the bottom. Why can't we have a simple "Edit" button to quickly swipe things to where we want them?

19. ovo6 macrumors 6502a

Hate it now I don’t get why developers do stupid **** like this, old way looked cleaner

20. erinsarah macrumors regular

Haven't looked at it yet but I'm quietly hoping for two things:

1. A ten second skip forward button, like the Amazon Prime app has.
    2. a link to show just MOVIES, instead of intermingling movies with TV.

Anyone been able to confirm either? Yeah, I could check myself, but where's the fun in that?

21. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

As long as I can quickly navigate to their offerings, I am not overly picky with the app. Start breaking what isn't broken and we have a problem.

22. PaulRustad007 macrumors 6502

PaulRustad007

Nope.....you can go BACK 10 seconds, and movies and TV shows are mingled together...no break out. Lo siento.

23. DeepIn2U macrumors 603

DeepIn2U

Sorry what has ... Youtube or Netflix?

24. MattBP macrumors member

So I'm guessing you still can't navigate an app that is designed to show videos landscape mode... in landscape mode...?!?!?!

Boggles my mind turning my phone orientation around in between videos...

25. supercoolmanchu macrumors regular

supercoolmanchu

Netflix’s Apple TV UI is 100% pure *******.

Love ‘me for the video content, but their software warrants war crime prosecutions.

Worst use of space, horribly sized content thumbnails, obnoxious new auto-audio when browsing adds new lows in overall piss poor user experience, which already includes perhaps the worst content browsing of any modern media platform.

And the cherry on Netflix’s software failure is the absolutely stupid profile select screen you’re forced to click thru every time you select the app, even if your home is using only one profile.