Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Netflix Says It's Not Testing Spatial Audio Support for AirPods

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Netflix says it's not currently testing spatial audio support for the AirPods Pro and AirPods Max, putting to rest an earlier report that claimed support would roll out in the spring.

Image via iPhoneSoft

In a statement to MacRumors, a Netflix spokesperson says that it's not currently testing spatial audio support, and has no plans to make public at this point in time. Netflix instead says it was testing multi-channel support for built-in speakers, as part of its mission to "improve" its service, and evaluate "new experiences" for users.

Netflix and AirPods users have been on edge, waiting for the streaming giant to adopt the feature. The pressure on Netflix isn't made any lighter given the fact that a number of its biggest competitors such as Disney Plus, HBO Max, and of course, Apple TV+, all already include Spatial audio support.

Spatial audio brings three-dimensional sound to your AirPods Pro and AirPods Max. Your iOS device will compare its own data from the gyroscope and accelerometer against the data from your AirPods, to ensure that your sound field stays anchored to the device even if you move your head.

Article Link: Netflix Says It's Not Testing Spatial Audio Support for AirPods

steevn

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2016
While this would be a nice feature, but definitely not a big deal to me specifically, it seems insane that Netflix isn’t doing or testing this feature at all.

It’s clear that Netflix is going to eventually cost $50/mo with the same quality of content(good and bad), but I’ve never understood why Netflix is so against things like this and more specifically everything that Apple does lol.

Comment

Scorch07

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2007
Spatial audio is a nice gimmick but use cases are severely limited. How often are people watching movies on their headphones and on their iPads, by themselves?
Almost every day. I’ve gotten so used to spatial audio with Apple TV and Disney+ that Netflix is definitely a noticeable tick down in audio experience now. So I’m very bummed to hear that they aren’t actively working towards.

Comment

7thson

macrumors demi-god
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
Netflix’s ambivalence to catering to their customers borders on gaslighting. “You say you want that feature, but our algorithm indicates you don’t and consequently we aren’t going spend $ writing code to just follow the carrot. In short, we need to be notified, in writing, by God before we'll consider any improvements we consider frivolous. All improvements are frivolous.”

Comment

SpringKid

macrumors member
May 17, 2019
Wouldn't Apple be able to do this system-wide? Let the device be a Dolby/DTS surround compatible device, if only virtually, and transcode that to their Spatial Audio pipeline?

Reactions: aylk and Chung123
Comment

Suckfest 9001

macrumors 65816
May 31, 2015
Canada
It’s really not a gimmick. You sound so salty and obviously don’t have the device to experience it.
You almost got me I was just about to spew all the apple crap I got but then my signature reminded me that we were taught (or supposed to have been taught anyway) as children not to compare belongings and make fun of other less privileged people :)

I’m allowed to dislike a product and you’re just gonna have to deal with that ❤️🥰🎉

Comment

maxfromdenmark

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2011
Copenhagen
Oh dear Lord, it could be actually “something big” instead of Netflix is considering the ”useful features” like “shuffle play of shows” or “playing without picture (yes guys the era of listening of tv series is coming)” and watching on the higher play speed (or whatever it called). Meanwhile an average Joe is interested in good picture and audio quality and rich library of content.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.