Netflix Selection (UK)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iStudentUK, Jan 25, 2012.

1. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

I thought this would be a thread already... sorry if I just couldn't find it.

So Netflix launched here a few weeks ago, for a very inviting price. I don't know anyone who has it yet, and you can't search without signing up. I've heard it's a bit sparse as its so new, so any UK peeps know what the selection is like?

Whilst I'm here... anyone know how well it works with the Wii? That would be the easiest way to get it on the TV for me. (Unreasonable fiancé says we can't just go out and buy a new internet enabled TV :D )

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

speaking from the US version, the streaming selection is poor. there is very little that i find enjoyable for streaming other than a few older tv shows. i'd guess it would be similar across the pond.

3. Firestar macrumors 68020

Firestar

Streaming section in the US is small... Sometimes it's okay, but not usually.

Streaming on the Wii should be fine. I have a friend who does it and the load times aren't bad, I doubt they would be better with a Internet abled TV.

4. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

The number of movies and TV shows available is really bad. However, those TV shows that they do have tend to be well stocked - there are 14 series of Top Gear available, as well as the complete back catalogue of Twin Peaks.

There is a free trial available - just sign up and it is easy to cancel. Unlike LoveFilm you can do it online instead of having to phone someone who will try to convince you to stay.

5. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Have you thought about signing up to the trial? It's free and should give you a good guide to what's available.

6. iStudentUK thread starter macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

Thanks for the replies. I guess there is a reason their streaming service is half the cost of LoveFilm's! Maybe I'll give the free trial a go, but don't have high hopes.

7. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

It's not half the cost, it's £1 more expensive.

Well I thought it was. Their TV ads say you can get streaming only for £4.99 per month, but I can't find it on the website. Netflix is £5.99 per month.

8. iStudentUK thread starter macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

Thanks for the tip, found it buried here. Seems like an introductory offer, but the price is capped until 2013. (Unfortunately no Wii streaming for me).

9. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

I quite like the Netflix service.

(Background... I don't have a TV and haven't had one for 5 years, so that probably gives me a slightly different perspective on this).

I've had LoveFilm for 5+ years, but have been getting more lax about sending DVDs back... so while I love the range of obscure movies I can currently get on that service, I'm not really getting my moneys worth.

I'd hoped that Netflix would have a really wide range of stuff, and I'd completely switch over to that... but their range is quite small. Their streaming quality is noticeably better than Lovefilm though, and they support iDevices too, which is good.

I guess the appeal of Netflix to me is more as a 'I want to watch something, let's see what Netflix has', rather than a 'I want to watch X'. If you want to watch something specific you may be disappointed; if you want to watch anything, I think there's plenty of interesting movies and TV in Netflix.

My overall decision is to retain Lovefilm, but halve the cost of my plan to the very cheapest (just to benefit from odd movies they have that I can't get anywhere else). I plan to pay for the Netflix service too.

10. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

That's exactly how I use Netflix. I don't expect it to have something specific, I simply look for something that looks like I would enjoy. :)

11. Sirolway macrumors 6502

I've signed up t=for the UK trial but apart from the rather thin offering (not actually that much available & what they do have, they don't have recent seasons - e.g. only up to Season 4 of 24, Dexter - 2 seasons, Breaking Bas - 2 seasons)

But more significant than that is that it keeps giving me an error - only been on the trial a day or 2 & watched 1 very good film (The Station Agent) but now it's giving me "Netflix service is unavailable - see www.netflix.com/support for more detail"

When you go to that URL, it redirects & redirects until Safari gives up & tells you "Too many redirects occurred" - basically a circular redirect

This is giving me a very low impression of Netflix - I really want this to work out, but I have now diarised the trial end date (i.e. with a view to cancel at that point if things don't improve..)

12. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

I have been a LoveFilm user for quite a while and just recently signed up to the Netflix trial to give it a go. So far, I prefer the streaming service from Netflix. Although their selection isn't great neither is the selection from LoveFilm (at least not on the PS3 - which is what I use).

I think what will stop me making the switch is that I can rent a really wide range of Blu Rays and Games from LoveFilm and Netflix don't offer that service (as far as I can tell).

13. FanOfMR macrumors member

I can't wait that TV is abolished.
    I can't bear to have to wait a given time to watch a program.

14. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

I signed up to Netflix as soon as it came out in the UK after hearing a lot of good about it from the US, and the movie selection is terrible. The TV selection tends to be alright though.

When my free month ran out I just cancelled it, but I plan to reactivate my account when they add more content - it's an awesome service, they just need to fill it up a bit more!