Netflix smooth in fullscreen, but stutters in browser window

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by motulist, Nov 30, 2011.

1. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

It's been this way ever since I first got netflix about 6 months ago. When I play a netflix movie inside a safari browser window it has a horrible frame rate around 12-15 FPS I estimate, but when I click the "full screen" button the video becomes silky smooth and has a perfect frame rate.

It does this even when I have no other tabs or windows open, and activity monitor shows no other apps using any significant CPU %. I think the problem might be slightly better if I play a movie immediately after I quit and relaunch safari, but it's only a very slight improvement and I might just be my imagining the improvement anyway.

Does anyone else have this problem? How do I fix it?

---------------------------------------
    OS 10.6.8
    Safari 5.1.1
    Silverlight most current version
    MBP 2.4 GHz i5
    4GB ram
    30 GB free disk space

2. atalio macrumors newbie

Had the same video stutter problem in Netflix window mode under Silverlight 4.x (fullscreen was fine). Installed Silverlight 5.0.61118.0, restarted, and no longer have the video stutter.

Check your Silverlight version here: www.microsoft.com/getsilverlight/

3. adamrc macrumors newbie

I'm having the same issue. I've tried both the latest version of Chrome and Firefox and the video is stuttering when not in full-screen on Netflix. I also made sure to completely remove the old version of Silverlight and re-install the latest version. It did not help. When I go into full-screen, the video plays smoothly.

4. saberahul macrumors 68040

I agree. Had same problems but newest version fixed for me.

5. motulist, Jan 14, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2012

motulist thread starter macrumors 601

motulist

That fixed it! Thanks atalio.

Now if only I could get the Netflix homepage to actually show the thumbnails of the movie covers, instead of mostly just showing empty black rectangles.

Attached Files: